Help setting RAM timings on mobo

Dawn1113

[FONT=Arial]I have a 16gb (4x4gb) kit of GSKill Ripjaws Z arriving tomorrow and need to enter the timings manually for them to work properly on my P9X79 Pro motherboard. [/FONT][FONT=Arial]How do I go about doing this? [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]The kit is rated for 1.50v at 9-9-9-24. [/FONT][FONT=Arial]Do I have to enter correct BCLCK and CPU ratio values, as well? Pretty much everything is on auto default right now with my DDR3 1333 RAM kit.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]I've attached a snapshot. I'm not sure it'll help, but then this is just about all I know of the BIOS. I'm a total noob and haven't done much exploration. [/FONT][FONT=Arial]Here's some info on the RAM kit: [/FONT]

http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=427&c1=1&c2=3.

Can anyone out there please help me?

BIOS1.jpg

Under "memory frequency" you should see a list of speeds you can select, these correspond to the various FSB/RAM ratios. Pick the one that's suitable for your RAM. If you scroll down you should see the DRAM voltage and timings, just type in the values.

Not sure about SB-E but for SB the BCLK doesn't budge... not even by a few Mhz so you're better off leaving that alone at 100Mhz and using the CPU multiplier to overclock that 3930K. So to run your RAM at its rated 1600Mhz your FSB/RAM ratio would be 1:16.

First, I recommend you don't mess with the RAM timings. Instead, let it auto-calibrate like your 1333 Mhz kit. Since the kit is fully compatible with the mobo, it shouldn't need manual settings (or am I missing the question entirely?)
If you plan to manually set timings for any reason, I would suggest you either just overclock the FSB and let the timings adjust themselves (to avoid stability issues), or else manually set them to the default (specified) timings, voltage and frequency.

P.s.: How did you get a UEFI screenshot? I wasn't aware it is possible!

Thank you both for helping me out here. I've noted down slh28's instructions and will proceed accordingly.

@Marnomancer: Yeah, I agree, it would have been a lot easier if Asus included auto-detect for DDR3 1600, but for some reason, they didn't. As for the snapshot, I think it comes with the new UEFI thing: just connect a flash drive into any USB port and press F12 while in the BIOS. The system will save the screenshot in the USB drive.

[FONT=Arial]Here's the root of my RAM timing issue. The RAM kit is in the QVL of my motherboard, but is only recognized when XMP is enabled. Unfortunately, Asus has decided to match Intel's XMP DRAM configuration with this crazy, automatic "all core turbo" CPU configuration on the P9X79 Pro. [/FONT][FONT=Arial]When XMP is enabled on the board, [/FONT][FONT=Arial]any [/FONT][FONT=Arial]CPU operation kicks the system into full turbo mode (3.8 GHz on all cores) behind rather aggressive voltages (1.32 vcore at idle going up to 1.40v when Turbo kicks in). Opening a notepad document is enough to send the CPU into this state. I'm told it's a special "feature" of the mobo, apparently.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]I tried using this "feature" with a previous 1600 RAM kit. The heat was unacceptable -- and I grew worried that the needlessly high vcore was killing my CPU.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]I filled out a technical inquiry form over at the Asus website. Asus tech support came back with an email telling me that I can run the CPU at stock, Intel-specified speed with DDR3 1600 RAM, but I need to set timings manually. I don't need to OC the CPU to run with 1600 RAM as the 3930K is designed to run stock with either DDR3 1333 or DDR3 1600 DRAM frequencies. Scroll down and check the memory types listed here: [/FONT]http://ark.intel.com/products/63697

[FONT=Arial]And, nah, guys, I really shouldn't do any OCing yet. Apart from a general lack of guts, I don't know jack about these things and am likely to fry my system in the attempt. :D[/FONT]

Again, thanks, guys.

I'm very sorry to be pesky about this noob question. But will any of you guys check the following and tell me if I've missed anything? I'd really appreciate it if you could also help me with some of the still unresolved values.

1) Set DRAM Frequency to 1:16 (DDR3-1600).
2) Set command mode to 1T or 1N? (Still not sure about this and am hoping it is set automatically.)
3) Set DRAM CAS# Latency to 9.
4) Set RAS# to CAS# Delay to 9.
5) Set DRAM RAS# Act Time to 24.
4) Find DRAM voltages and set to 1.50v. Maybe 1.52v for good measure? Right now, for DDR3 1333, the voltages seem to fluctuate slightly from 1.51v to 1.518v and such. How should I estimate static voltage?

I would still recommend disabling Turbo (check the manual) and manually setting to the default timings.
As for the heat, you may want to read up part 2 of the air cooling guide. It's done.

[FONT=Arial]Of course I'll take a look at Part 2 of your guide, Marnomancer. I always read your stuff. ;) [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]But --ugh! -- I suspect I've already messed up somewhere. [/FONT][FONT=Arial]I tried setting DRAM frequency manually to DDR3 1600, but altering anything but primary RAM timings in the P9X79 Pro BIOS kicks the system into all core turbo mode again: auto OC as though XMP were enabled. I restored auto default memory frequency and the BIOS automatically set speeds at 1605 Mhz. Is that OK? Ran five initial passes of MemTest86+ without a hitch.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]I set RAM timings manually at 9-9-9-24. I left command mode on auto. CPU-Z detects the RAM correctly. DRAM frequency is detected at 800.5 to 802 Mhz. At double data rate, that puts me around 1600 or so, right? [/FONT][FONT=Arial]I left the voltages on auto. Please take a look at the screenshots I'll be posting for reference. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]Should I go ahead and continue testing for stability? [/FONT]

Yes, it appears to be nice. You would be at 1600 as expected.
Now you may want to continue running MemTest.
Good luck!

And oh, can you do me a favor please? I may need a few photographs of your newly installed kit for the guide. They have heatspreaders, right? They could help to show how newer DDR3 modules get along well with heatspreaders, while still allowing a wide choice of CPU coolers.

Your memory looks fine.
I'd also recommend disabling the turbo mode, 1.4V is uncomfortably high and you don't wanna be damaging your CPU. Try setting the CPU Vcore manually, go down to the lowest stable value you can get (and you'll be halfway there to becoming an overclocking pro ;))

The 1.32 to 1.40 vcore is only set by the mobo when XMP is enabled. As you can see from the snapshots, I've not enabled XMP, so the high vcore is no longer a problem. Everything is on auto except the RAM latencies which you guys helped me figure out. My vcore is now normal -- around 0.77v at idle and 1.20v (as reported by HWMonitor) when all six cores go into the Intel-specified turbo speeds. Idle CPU frequency is at 1.2 Ghz -- as it is supposed to be. Temps are normal both at idle and load.

XMP-mode on the P9X79 Pro is quite problematic. Anandtech has moaned about it. Thanks to you guys, however, I've avoided using XMP to run my 1600 RAM kit. So my CPU is running stock -- with all the safe, noob-friendly Intel-specified voltages and settings. We're good, I think. .

I'm sorry I was unclear. I've been kicking back some with my good and loyal friend, Mr. Jack Daniel's Old No. 7. Heh-heh.

Thanks again, slh28 and Marnomancer. Will run a few hours of Memtest now and maybe enjoy a little more booze while I'm at it...;)

Back