Help setting up router to play games on LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a D-Link DI-624+ wireless router. I am trying to setup the router to enable me to play LAN games, but I have failed so far. I have disabled the firewall on both computers (both are using XP) but I still cannot play LAN games. I can create but cannot join or see the server on the other computer. I do not know networking very well so I don’t know what information you require to help me. I am using static IP address.

Any one knows how to fix this problem??
Thanks in advance

Before you do this make sure your computers aren't connected to the internet (they can be connected to the router as long as the router isn't connected to the internet). I'm telling you this because I set up a LAN this way and your systems will not be protected by firewalls and I don't want you to blame me for something getting into your comp when your firewalls are down. To the important stuff AHOY! Just try disabling your router firewall along with your computers' firewalls.

EDIT: If you don't wanna try this, don't bother, listen to \/ him

Don't do what flashmonkey says (sorry dude).

Leave the hardware firewall on the router enabled. You don't need to disconnect from the internet.

A couple of questions first though;
1) What firewall do you use? (ie. ZoneAlarm, Symantec, etc.)
2) Why are you using static IP addresses?
3) What games are you trying to play? Some use IPX (an old Novell protocol) while most use IP.
4) Are you able to ping the computers from each other?

Here are the answers to your questions:
1)I am using the firewall from Mcafee Security centre 2004
2)I am using Static IP address because i read from somewhere it is easier to set up your firwall if you use Static IP add.By this i mean allowing a certain computer in your network access to files of another computer in the network.
Am i supposed to be using dynamic IP add???
3)I am trying to play Battlefield 2 and Farcry
4)No i am not able to ping the computers from each other.
What do i do now??

Thanks for the help

Ok, lets see what we can do. I have a similiar router so I can actually provide you with hands on advice (kinda).

1) Unfortunately I am not that familiar with McAffee products since I swore them off after a bad experience with them a few years ago. That said, it should be sufficient to disable the firewall when you want to play LAN games.

2) What Static IP addresses have you assigned to each computer? They should be in the same subnet. ie... I think the router uses 192.168.0.1 as its IP address. The PCs should be something like 192.168.0.10 and 192.168.0.11 if you are using static IP addresses. The reason they should be around there is that the DCHP server on the router will hand out at 192.168.0.50 to start and you don't want to interfere with it. You can have the router assign those static IP addresses to the computer (this is the best way to do it). To do this though you will need to find the MAC address of your network cards. Go to this site to figure out how.

http://www.artsci.wustl.edu/ASCC/documentation/macaddrss.html

When you have your MAC addresses for both cards, log onto your router. The IP address of the router will be 192.168.0.1. If you don't know how to do this then read the instruction manual that came with your router.... or go to here and get the manual.

http://www.dlink.com/products/support.asp?pid=6&sec=0#manual

After you have logged on, click on the DHCP button on the bottom left of the screen. At the bottom is a place where it says Static DCHP. Read in the manual about how to set this up.

This is the best way to set up static IP addresses as it will give each PC the same address each time and you will still be able to get your DNS servers without having to hardcode them.

If you are gaming or use some filesharing programs it is a good idea to use static IP addresses as you may have to set up port forwarding.

After you are done this part the computers should be able to ping each other. (part 5).

3) For Farcry it looks like there was some LAN play issues that were resolved with the latest patch. I haven't played the game yet (though I wish I had it).

http://www.ubi.com/US/Downloads/Info.aspx?dlId=691

I can't find anything for Battlefield 2 lan play, I'd say make sure you have it updated and maybe someone else who has it can help you out a bit.

hey it works now but I can create a server only on one computer(From this point on i will name it PC1).When i create on PC2, PC1 can not see ther server.

Thanks a lot for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back