Help! Taskbar crashing on startup!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am running Windows XP Professional.

When I start up my computer, the taskbar at the bottom of the screen freezes. This means that I can't access the quick launch, start menu or anything that has been minimized. If I wait about 15-20 minutes, eventually the taskbar will unfreeze and all my regular programs that are scheduled to open on startup (such as windows live messenger) will open. Then the computer is fine to use until you have to start it up again.

I have been putting up with this problem for a few weeks now. I am getting very annoyed and can't seem to find a solution on Google. I thought that the problem might be due to a virus. I have been running Avast Antivirus since I first got the computer, and it hasn't alerted me about anything suspicious since the problem has arisen. I also installed Malwarebytes, just to be sure, but it didn't find anything.

I ran the System Configuration Utility and disabled all startup software but the problem persisted when I restarted my computer. After it loaded up, I went back into the System Config Utility and found that there were 4 programs that were enabled again. They were:

- my antivirus user interface (avastUI.exe)
- something in the C:\Windows folder (asuzoxujesazu.dll)
- something in the C:\Windows folder (zreshead.dll)
- ctfmon.exe

I can post a HiJackThis log if the problem is difficult to source.

Note: I would prefer not to have to reinstall Windows.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :) Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back