TechSpot

Help!! Trying to upgrade pc for my son...

By jennyjun02
Mar 27, 2007
  1. Hi,
    I'm a non-tekkie trying to upgrade a pc for my son who wants to use it for games. I'm using Windows XP and Microsoft Office at the minute. I've around £300 to spend. If anyone could help with ideas (non technical lingo if possible), it would be much appreciated!

The spec of my pc is:

Motherboard: Asus ASUS P5B Pentium 4/Celeron/Pentium D/PentiumEE/65nm dual-core/Core2Duo/Core2EE(113965)

Processor: Pentium 4 2.6 non hyperthread

Memory: 128 Mb DDRAM (PC133)

Screen: Studioworks 775N 17"

Graphics Card: Geforce 2 MX

Keyboard: Standard Microsoft Natural QWERTY

Mouse: PS/2 compatible

Disk Drive: 30 GB Maxtor 7200 8mb

CD/DVD: 16* Liteon DVD-ROM

Modem: V90 K56 PCI Modem

Scanner: Colorado USB 9600 Scanner

Printer: Epson Stylus Photo 700

Soundcard: Soundblaster Audio PCI 64V

Thanks,

Jenny

2. nismo91

nismo91 TS Evangelist Posts: 900   +15

hmm... so may i know do you want to "upgrade" the computer to hi-er spec or sell it and buy a new one?

3. honvetops

honvetops TS Rookie

please answer me this * Is this your motherboard ?
    click on this link and let me know if the model you have looks something like this* ?

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/10...rboard_fighting_to_be_king_of_p965/index.html

This motherboard provides one x16 PCI Express slot, three x1 PCI Express slots and three standard PCI slots.

On the memory side, ASUS P5B has four DDR2-DIMM sockets, supporting up to 8 GB officially up to DDR2-800, however this motherboard supports DDR2-1066/PC2-8500 memories (we installed four DDR2-1066 modules and they worked just fine at 1,066 MHz). On this motherboard sockets 1 and 3 are yellow and sockets 2 and 4 are black. Configuring DDR2 dual channel on this motherboard is pretty easy: just install each module on a socket with the same color.

If this is what you think you have, did you but this retail or from a private seller?

4. jennyjun02

jennyjun02 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Hi, just to higher spec it so that my son can play games on it

5. honvetops

honvetops TS Rookie

ASUS P5B has four DDR2-DIMM sockets ( I will assume your mobo has these specs)

get 2# sticks of (512) megs of 667 or 800 memory modules (run dual channel mode)

Buy a PCI-E graphics card with at least 256 of ram memory
    example* 7600 GT card to give a much needed graphic capability to your system compared to the on-board graphic chip you currently have.
    A higher clocked pentium chip like a 650 prescott will give game playing a huge boost as well. Start with the ram/ graphics card first, then better cpu (processor) if you can. Might think dual-core if multi -tasking .If not, the higher end pentium chip with HT is more than efficient.

that should be a nice upgrade compared to the unbelievably low 128 mb of ram you have now and the onboard graphics.

6. jennyjun02

jennyjun02 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thank you! Will try this

Great, I'll have a go. Thanks for replying

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.