TechSpot

Help understanding minimum processor requirements for recording software

By techster
Apr 11, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. I want to buy a laptop to run professional recording software. The minimum requirement is an Intel Core 2 Duo E8200 2.67GHz. Can I use a quad core with less speed. What are my options?

Thanks

2. Rabbit01

Rabbit01 TS Evangelist Posts: 755   +53

Is there a trial version of the software for you to test on your current system?

3. techster

techster TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 16

Yes. However, my current laptop is old (Centrino Duo 2GHz), and will not run it well. I am going to replace it. I was wondering just how much money I had to spend to meet my needs.

4. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,473   +963

Can you tell me your specs and the name of the planned recording software you want to purchase.

5. Rabbit01

Not sure what software you have in mind or what's out there, but you might get better answers if you let folks know what program you plan on getting.

edit: looks like JC713 pressed the post button just a bit quicker than I did. :)

6. Jad Chaar

;)

7. techster

Sonar X2 Producer

8. Rabbit01

9. Jad Chaar

Post your specs here and I can tell you if you can run it.

10. techster

ASUS VivoBook X202E-DH31T Ultrabook - 3rd generation Intel Core i3-3217U 1.8GHz, 4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD, 11.6" Touchscreen, Windows 8 64-bit

11. Rabbit01

Think your 3rd gen CPU beats the old Core Duo E8200.

12. Jad Chaar

Yeah you are fine. Any modern CPU will be fine. Plus it is only recording software, which only needs a good sound card. If you are doing video editing, then no you cannot run video editing software on that.