TechSpot

Help upgrading my current PC

By Superkleb
Jul 4, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Greetings Techspot forum people. I am wanting to upgrade my PC, but without having to replace my motherboard, so I am just wondering what is the best hardware I can actually get for my make and model. I feel a bit lazy asking, but when it comes to actual hardware Im a bit clueless and more than a bit paranoid of getting something wrong :) All help would be much appreciated as I know you probably have better stuff to do, but Im sure there are a tonne of people out there to whom stuff like this is second nature :) Here goes...

My MOBO is a Gigabyte GA-EG41MF-US2H (Link- http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3469#ov)
    *Some other specs
    Current CPU- Celeron E3200 dual, overclocked to about 3.2
    OS- Win XP 32 bit (yeah, I know)
    GPU- GeForce 8800GTX
    Memory- 2GB (Because of 32 bit OS)
    PSU- 650W
    This PC was built from scratch by an old friend of mine especially for me. I am based in the UK (England, Lancashire) and we usually buy most of our parts from http://www.scan.co.uk/ who have a store in Bolton, which is not far from us. I really dont want to replace the motherboard and therefore buy a WHOLE new system, so any help regarding any one piece of hardware would be great :D

If any more info is needed, I will try my best. I used CPU-Z to get most of it.
    Thanks in advance!
    Kyle.
    Edit: I use my PC primarily for gaming.

2. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,925   +170

Most important question: what's your budget?

If you're gaming the GPU will be the best upgrade, but recommendations all depend on your budget.

If you want you can get a Core 2 Duo/Quad to replace your Celeron, but they're legacy products now and you'll have to buy one off eBay. It's probably advisable not to upgrade your CPU/mobo/RAM and save up for a new combo.

3. Superkleb

Superkleb TS Rookie Topic Starter

Hey, thanks for the reply. Hmm, as far as budget is concerned Im not entirely sure. Im off to Sweden beginning of august for a week but after that money shouldnt be too big a problem so all recommendations are welcome.
    Does my MoBo support quad cores then? Was under the impression it didnt :) If so, then that is good news.
    Ill also be upgrading my OS obviously so I can add more than 2 GB RAM.

4. magaman598

magaman598 TS Booster Posts: 275

You can get a Socket 775 Quad-core CPU but you're better off saving for a new combo as Slh suggested.

5. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,925   +170

Well if you have the money then just get an i5 2500K, mobo and some DDR3 RAM. A Core 2 Quad and DDR2 RAM have very inflated prices because they are legacy. Just had a quick look online and a new C2Q Q8400 is the same price as an i5 2500K.

6. Superkleb

Superkleb TS Rookie Topic Starter

Hey guys, thanks for the reply again and sorry I didnt reply so quickly (work has me busy). Cool, its good that I can chuck a quad core in there. That should make it a load better. Like you said though slh28, the legacy prices are high, but I should be able to manage it after I get back from holiday. Found an i5 2500 k for around £150 also, so I dunno... Some good info there guys, it is much appreciated. Ill keep checking back here too.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.