Help upgrading to a better video card

By luisn
Aug 4, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Hello, I have had this video card inside my computer that I recently bought (I would link you, but not enough posts (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130339), and it has just been sitting in there since I could not get it to work (black screen) and I just figure it is the video card and have given up trying to fix it. So I have come to you guys since I will soon be buying another video card and since I want to be SURE it will work on my computer, here are my computer specs (no idea what is needed so here is everything I could find):

Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium
    System Model: FQ545AA-ABA a6700f
    BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v.6.00PG
    Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) 9150e Quad-Core Processor (4 CPUs), ~1.8GHz
    Memory: 3966MB RAM

I would buy my video card from newegg but I want it as soon as possible, so here is one I found from BestBuy:http://tinyurl.com/27zmjnf or http://www.frys.com/product/6112639

If you have any suggestions for me that would be great!

(Oh and if I am missing something from my specs, just tell me and inform me how to find out that information, thanks)

P.S. Links are up... Woo~
  2. lpmjames

lpmjames Newcomer, in training Posts: 155

dude.. could be your power.. not enough to support.. but i dont have that info.. check it out an post back .. i kinda want to know
  3. luisn

luisn Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

TX650W is what the power supply says.
  4. lpmjames

did u switch the bios around to operate off of the card in question
  5. luisn

Yup, moved the monitor cable to the video card and all that.
  6. lpmjames

if u get no help i will be checkn more on this.. wierd.
  7. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] I'm a TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,316   +116

If i'm not mistake, that would be a downgrade.
    Does your 9800gtx's fan spin when you turn your computer on? There shouldn't be a compatibility problem.
  8. Ritwik7

Ritwik7 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,288   +7

Have you attached the 6 Pin connector to the GPU?
  9. luisn

Yup, it spins.
  10. luisn

Yes, yes I have. (I'm sure it doesn't matter, but the connector was 3 pins that went into GPU and the other three were holes[I bought the connector off newegg because I lost the one they gave to me..])
  11. hellokitty[hk]

?
    Not only do you need to actually plug in the card (no joke), but the 6-pin should be attached to your powersupply...you can't have lost it. Even if it fell off, you should have a few others.

12. luisn

Power Supply does not contain one that could be connected to the Video Card, so I got an adapter and ta-da. I think we are on different pages here...
  13. luisn

I don't care about the video card I have now, that is a lost cause, probably going to sell it on Craigs List. I know the video cards I suggested are a downgrade from the one I already have but anything is better than the one installed into the motherboard. Someone just tell me if either of them are compatible with my CPU so I can go to the store right now and buy it (I have a project to do for school tomorrow and my graphics card needs to be upgraded for it [System Requirements for the project can be found here: http://alice.org/index.php?page=downloads/download_alice2.2).
  14. hellokitty[hk]

Everything with a PCI-E slot is compatible, but you know, they don't work unless you plug them in.
    I suppose your right, the older 9800gtx's need two 6pins, which the corsair TX650 does have.
    Though you linked to a 9800gtx+, which only takes one 6pin.
  15. luisn

The fan works so either it is getting its power from a magical place in fairy tale land or I have them plugged in, right? Anyway, thanks, I guess; I sure do hope this next one works, it would be such a pain to waste 300+ dollars for nothing :/.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.