Help USB to COM port

Status
Not open for further replies.

leonelvsc

Hi people first than nothing i'm from argentina so my english is poor xD

Ok here is the problem

i buy a com to usb adapter (CH340) the problem with this product are the drivers i execute the program with the cd and then i plug in the adapter and windows pops up a window "new hardware found" ok i click install automaticly . But the problems is that windows can't install those drivers i don't now why :S .

I extracted the drivers files to another folder and use manual installation but windows says that "cannot install this hardware " :(

what i should do ?

Please tell us
> The make/model of your computer
> What version of Windows are you running and what Service Pack level

• Make sure all your devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post

no anything appears :S

pc specs

mother ecs c51gm-m
amd x2 4000
2gb ram ddr2 800

windows xp sp3 professional edition

no anything appears :S

?? Did you have the adapter plugged in when you checked for Problem Devices??? If you have the device plugged in AND windows reports it can't install the driver i'd expect it to appear in Problem devices at that point in time :confused:

windows installs it as unknown device in usb devices
Yes, i know Windows says "Unknown Device". But if you check the Problem Device Report at that time (while the adapter is connected) it should provide more information. That's what I want to see.

For example, you may see something like

Code:
USB\VID_046D&PID_C517\7&2285BC2A&0&2      The drivers for this device are not installed

Ahhh.... Thank you for the images.

That at least helps explain what's happening and part of the problem.. though not necessarily the solution :(

The current problem is not the driver. I'll explain... Before Windows tries to install the driver it must recognize the hardware correctly The hardware is identified by something called its Hardware ID

Your Unknown Device shows a hardware ID of USB\VID_0000&PID_0000. But those zero's should not be there! The zero's mean the hardware isn't being recognized correctly.

It's late here now.. so i will post more information tomorrow. In the meantime, you might try to connect the adapter to another computer. At least determine if you have the same problem with the same bad Hardware ID of all zeroes on a different computer or not.

No. Windows needs to see that ID each time the device gets plugged in. (The device sends it to windows as part of the plug and play sequence). Also, it's next to impossible to know everywhere in the registry that ID is used, how it's used and how it's saved. We might even corrupt your registry if we tried to change it by hand.

I think first best to see if the same problem occurs on a different computer. Then we might know if the problem is the device or with Windows on your computer.

just for information you might want to see [post=755153]Plug and Play Overview: How Windows Finds Drivers for USB Devices[/post]

I try installing a virtual com device and then install the driver of the product but windows tells me that the driver does not contain information about this device or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back