Help! Very strange sound problem

By mssw07
Mar 2, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ok..here's the problem...while i'm surfing the net, sound on my system just suddenly stops. I'm usually playing WMP 11 when this happens but the sound is killed on my whole system...no error msgs, no other symptoms...if WMP is closed sound is still dead on system. Now, I have noticed that sound is killed after I have arrived at certain websites such as weatherchannel, Fox News, and my local newspaper sight. Now, to get sound back i have to close IE7..after IE is closed, sounds comes back...however in some cases a restart is needed to get sound back, and, sometimes, the usual shutdown sound can be heard as the blue "shutting down" screen appears as system is shutting down after restart has been selected.. I have NO idea what this problem is..it is random and according to a friend of mine happened once while simply listening to music with no one at the computer.

I am running:
    WIndows XP
    SoundMax Integrated Digital Audio
    Legacy Audio Drivers (or at least that's what in my Device Manager)
    PCMCIA (PC-Card) Audio Adapter (this is the sound card I assume)

Now, I have reinstalled Windows once and reinstalled drivers- that didn't work
    I have deleted my partition on two occasions and reinstalled- that didn't work

Please help!!!!! I'm sick of audio just suddenly disappearing and having to restart Windows or close IE to get it back!!!

3-2-08 / 1:01pm Central TIme

Just an update...I was just now running WMP and went to weatherchannel.com....

...audio was killed upon arriving to site...and, at times, it appears audio is killed after i'm notified that IE has just blocked the pop-up on this site....

audio was killed on WMP and whole system, although WMP continues to run....

checked device manager..no problems exists...

This one has me so stumped!!!
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,732   +156

You might have a virus or other malware infection
  3. kritius

kritius TechSpot Guru Posts: 2,087

Have you tried using Firefox to see if its IE thats the problem?

Other than that it may be a malware problem as Tmagic650 suggests.

If it is then you can have a look at THIS thread.
  4. mssw07

mssw07 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Thanks for the ideas....this is a very frustrating problem.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.