TechSpot

HELP, Windows Won't Start Up!

By EXCellR8
Aug 22, 2008
  1. I've been having some issues with my new computer lately; now I can't even get Windows XP to boot up! It all started when I couldn't get SLI to work correctly. Today I tried enabling the technology again after installing the latest display drivers and Service Pack 3. I attempted to run a stressful 3D application (UT3) to see if I had fixed the problem; unfortunately, nothing has changed. About 10 seconds after loading a map the game crashed and I had to hard reset the system. To make things even worse, I can't get Windows to boot back up! I can't even get the "Last Known Good Config" to work. I haven't touched any settings in the BIOS so I don't know what to do. It just wont start up!

[UPDATE]: Finally got XP to boot up but now I have another problem. My SATA hard drive isn't being recognized by the OS! I can see it in the BIOS under SATA 1 but it doesn't appear in "My Computer" or in the "Device Manager." I hope it's not fried :( I also noticed that Windows XP takes a ridiculously long time to boot up, like 5+ minutes until the log on screen appears. What the hell is going on?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.