TechSpot

Help with a random occuring BSOD

By gruesome
Jul 28, 2008
  1. PFN_LIST_CORRUPT (4e)
    Typically caused by drivers passing bad memory descriptor lists (ie: calling
    MmUnlockPages twice with the same list, etc). If a kernel debugger is
    available get the stack trace.
    Arguments:
    Arg1: 0000008f, The free or zeroed page listhead is corrupt
    Arg2: 0000c09f, new page
    Arg3: ffffffff, old page
    Arg4: 00000000, 0

I've got an Intel P4 Prescott. I have an aftermarket heatsink and fan rated for the prescott. An ASUS P4P800SE. American Megatrends bios ver. 080009. I had 4 256mb sticks of DDR. I thought it may have been a bad stick of RAM (although i ran memtest86 for 13 passes and got no errors) so i replaced it with 1 1gb stick of DDR. I had a NIC that was kinda acting up, sporadically would stop working, so i've replaced that. I've formatted and reinstalled a few times now. This is a fresh install of WinXP Pro sp3. Let me know if you guys need anymore information. Any help you can give me would be great. Thanks!

2. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 11,966   +70

This error is a very strong indication that you have corrupted memory. My first suggestion is to run MemTest on your RAM for a minimum of 7 passes (there are individual tests per Pass). If you have errors then you have memory that must be replaced.

www.memtest.org

3. gruesome

gruesome TS Rookie Topic Starter

well i was getting this error before i bought new memory. I ran memtest 13 passes and got no errors. I have a new stick of ram in now with a heatsink and everything.

4. gruesome

I'm also getting DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.

Included is a log of that.

5. Route44

0xD1 errors are caused by faulty drivers or buggy software. In your case the driver according to your debug log is nv4_mini.sys which is an Nvidia driver.

6. gruesome

Ok i completely removed all of my nvidia drivers and installed the older 78.05 drivers....so far no BSOD. We'll see..thanks.

7. Route44

Good to hear. Sometimes all it takes is reinstalling an older driver.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.