TechSpot

Help with a Toshiba Satellite Laptop

By Jaquio
Jan 21, 2006
  1. Hi everyone...
    Needing help with the following...

I just got a Toshiba Satellite Laptop that it doesnt start Windows... it turns on... it shows the Toshiba Intro screen... and then thats it... it becomes black... until i get a message that says Windows Error System file missing please insert your Windows CD and choose R to Repair your Windows...

I can get into the BIOS, checked everything and its all fine (i guess)... but when i try to change the boot order so i can boot from a Windows CD it does nothing... it kind skips the boot order and goes right through HDD boot and then i got the message described before...

Any hints?

Dead HDD?... :hotbounce

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,517   +336

hold F12 during boot with the cd already inserted

3. Jaquio

Jaquio TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 130

Thanks
    that was helpful! :D

4. o0oannieeo0o

o0oannieeo0o TS Rookie

hi i'm having a similar problem as JAQUIO

Everytime i turn on my computer it will go to the toshiba intro screen but doesn't start windows, then it becomes black with a message "A disc read error occurred...please press CRTL + ALT + Delete to restart"

and when i do that it does back to the Toshiba intro screen and goes back to the black screen with the same message..however when i'm on the intro screen i can press f2 and f12 to setup or boot..

if anyone can help it will be greatly appreciated...i'm soo desperate.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.