Help with BOOTVIS

Status
Not open for further replies.

gphantom

Hi,
I recently installed BOOTVIS just to decrease the BOOT UP time but there is a problem.

The image attached is the first analysis of BOOTVIS, you can see that it has FREE GAPS in between drivers loading, More like an IDLE PHASE.

Now here's the point, The next bootup after I click OPTIMIZE & Restart is like 12 seconds faster than the USUAL bootups. Just as if it resolves the IDLE phase (in the image).

But the problem is, This is the ONLY boot that is 12 seconds faster. On the next restarts afterwards, I get the same usual delays like in the attached graph. I want to know why this is happening. Are there any custom optimizations?

EDIT: take a look at the processor log as-well, At the idle phase one of the core of my core2duo goes up full.

Thanks

Attachments

• bootvis.JPG
    bootvis.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 7
Pardon but, Do you mean to say
- Time to display list of operating system: 30
- Time to display recovery options when needed: 30

Everything on this window is Checked. Do you want me to un-check the above two only? or some more?

Thanks for the reply

Ali

EDIT:
P.S, I get this LOADING BAR sort of thing Right on the boot-up, I mean just before the windows logo will appear, A loading bar completes like in 3,4 seconds. Its only with windows xp.

- Time to display list of operating system: 30

Set to 0 or uncheck completely

- Time to display recovery options when needed: 30

Set to 5 seconds

uncheck automatically restart

uncheck send administrative alert

I did as you suggested and, I actually dont see any apparent change in the BOOTING time.

I traced the new boot with Bootvis and It's still the same. The idle delay for about 8 seconds.

I wish to attach the file for you to run on ur PC but its too huge.

I have asus strike extreme nForce 680i and a c2d e6850.

BTW. I'm adding a few more screen-shots from MSCONFIG's startup. Can you tell me if its safe to uncheck the SYSTEM.INI and the WIN.INI?

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 0
Okay, I followed another thread and from that i found what was causing the Boot to extend so much. - http://www.softwaretipsandtricks.com/forum/windows-xp/4907-bootvis-help-boot-time-60sec.html

When i went to the Registry and tweaked the value of PreFetch from 3 to 0, The booting time came down from 40 to 8 seconds, UNBELIEVABLE.

I set it to the Value 1, to prefetch just the Applications and not the boot files. Because when i do that, That causes to extend the boot-up time.

So Right now, only ONE driver takes 6 seconds to load up, Its the AEAUDIO.SYS. I tried to get the latest version of this SOund driver but this is the latest and still it takes 6 seconds to loadup. when i turn this off I barely see the bootupscreen.

Though one thing has changed along with the prefetch. The desktop items load too slow now.

Now I'm wondering, were the Windows applications the ones prefetched during the BOOTUP period Before? Is that why the desktop loaded faster with the extended boot?

Becuase now the Harddisk goes crazy when it reaches the LOGON page.

OR, is it because i chose Prefetch value 0 for one boot and now i need to makeup a new prefetch list?

in short, What should i keep the value of the Prefetch in the registry?

0 - no prefetch
1 - prefetch applications only
2 - prefetch boot only
3 - prefetch both applications & boot (default)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back