Help with CPU & motherboard upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a Dell dimention E510(P4 3.0GH) and want to upgrade to a dual core processor. Already upgraded the power supply to a BFG ATX 12v v2.2 650 watt and running a Geforce 8800gt video card. I do a lot of video work and I'd like to work a little faster and give myself some room to upgrade to dual video cards down the road. Money is tight but I'd rather not skimp and need to upgrade too soon. Should I go the AMD route or stick with Intell? People say you can get more bang for the buck with the AMD's but I get confused trying to compare the intel's to the AMD's. I'd like to go with a dual core 3.1GH or 3.2GH(would settle for 3.0GH if it saves some money and you think it would still be a good enough upgrade.

As for the motherboard, like I said I'd like to have an extra PCI express slot open so I can run dual video cards down the road. I need at least 3 SATA inputs(have 2 internal HDD's and a blu-ray drive). Want to use the quicker DDR3 ram 1066, but again I would settle for the high end DDR2 1066 or the DDR3 800 if need be. Would like at least 4 slots for RAM so I can upgrade that down the road as well since I'm going to have to shell out money for that as well.

Can anyone give me some choices?

This also means I'll have to install windows XP again right? So do I have to buy an install CD to do that? Really can't afford to pay for that too so I'm hoping I've misunderstood that part.

The Dell Dimension E510 is made for Intel processors and the model of Intel it will accept appears to be limited. The other thing is you won't have to re-install Windows if you upgrade your processor. If you cannot put a dual processor in your computer, there still might be a way to do something within your budget, even if it eventually means saving as many parts as you can and building a new computer.

Does this fit the description of your computer? Go to the web page below:

http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/dell-dimension-e510-pentium/4505-3118_7-31555136.html

Dell Dimension E510 (Pentium 4 630 3GHz, 512MB RAM, 80GB HDD, XP Media Center 2005)

Product summary

The good: Updated appearance; removable side panel provides easy access to case interior; quiet operation.

The bad: Dual-core CPU not an option; no FireWire ports; limited graphics-card options; too little storage for a media PC; stingy standard support.

The bottom lineThe bottom line: Dell's mainstream Dimension E510 looks good from the outside, but surprisingly limited configuration options dampen our enthusiasm.

Specifications: Processor: Intel Pentium 4 630 (3.0 GHz) ; RAM installed: 512 MB DDR2 SDRAM ; Hard drive: 80 GB Standard

I'm not following. Why can't I use a dual core cpu? Again I ha ve plenty of HDD space with the stock 80gb and the 300gb secondary. Running a geforce 8800 gt video card so I'm not understanding some of the comments. I want to take out the old Processor and motherboard replace them. What would keep me from bing able to do that?

@BorisandBailey, he wants to upgrade both the CPU and the motherboard.

@blackjackshalac, why don't you buy a new case as well? If you're planning to buy so many new parts, then it makes sense to buy a new case as well, especially seeing as the E510 doesn't have very good airflow. Anyways, as for your main parts, can you provide a budget and your exact location? It'd help us recommend parts appropriately.

Agreed, but the 8800GT vents all the heat inside the case, and combined with the heat from the CPU, your case's ambient temperatures will be very high unless you have at least one intake and one exhaust fan. I'm not sure about the fan configuration on the E510, but if it has at least this much you will be fine.

Anyways, what budget do you have? And will you be willing to buy online? Where are you located?

If you're going to replace the motherboard and the cpu, I'd get an ATX form factor computer case. Power Up makes good mid-tower cases for even as low as $20 (sure, a little flimsier than more expensive cases, but I don't stand on top of my cases to change lightbulbs, anyway). With an ATX case, you'll have lots of choices of inexpensive motherboards that are of very good quality from makers like ASUS, MSI, and Gigabyte.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back