Help with ethernet driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

djackson84

If anyone can help at all it would be appreciated. My computer got a virus about a week ago, and I had to wipe it and reinstall Windows XP. Now I'm trying to add a ethernet controller driver through Install Wizard, and as soon as it loads to 100% it disappears and nothing happens. What's the next move? Please help. Need this asap.

To find your Driver files
1. Click for an index System Vendors
2. Find your System Vendor (e.g. HP or Dell). If custom built, find your motherboard vendor. Then click for their driver support site
3. On their site page, enter your model number and they should show you drivers available
4. Download the drivers based on which OS you are running

Hi. Perhaps I wasn't clear. I'm currently installing the driver. I can't get it to install correctly. I don't need a new one. It took forever to get this one. It installs using InstallWizard. but once it loads to 100% it disappears and nothing else happens. I've been to the Intel website (which is my motherboard) and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to navigate that site well enough to get a driver installed. I thought I had done so, but it didn't work.

Does anything appear in Device Manager under Network Adapters?
> Is your network adapter listed there? Rt click Properties, is status Working Properly or an error code?

Also see if Windows reports any problem devices
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post

It list Ethernet Controller and Video controller as problem devices. "Error Code: The Drivers for this device are not installed"

Also, my network Device Manager has no listing for Network Adapters. I believe, since it loads to 100% , that it's being stored somewhere, and I just can't find it.

The problem device "Ethernet Controller" is your network adapter. But it won't appear under Network Adapters until Windows loads its device driver.

Which makes me question either if
1) you are installing the right driver and/or
2) Just how you are trying to install it

> What is the make and model of your computer?

Also, try this
> Open Device Manager
> Look for "Other" or Unknown devices and look for the Ethernet Controller to be listed under it
> Rt click it and select Update Driver

Let Windows search online for the driver and see what it does

it can't search online for the driver. It can't get online at all without it. That's why I need it. I'm using a laptop to write to you.

The computer is custom made, but it's motherboard is an intel d946gcnl, and my OS is Windows XP pro.

As I said, I'm installing the driver through Install Wizard. I right click the file, click open. It loads to 100% and then disappears and nothing happens.

it can't search online for the driver. It can't get online at all without it.
OOps. Oh yea. forgot. :eek:

From what you explain, i can only think you are "installing" the wrong drivers. The "install" is just copying the files to disk. When Windows looks for a driver for the device, it's not finding a suitable driver file that matches the specific hardware device for your OS

1) Can you confirm if you're running 32 or 64 bit XP? Click for how to determine whether you are running 32 or 64 bit windows

2) Are you sure of the intel board number? As i'm not finding that board d946gcnl listed (see the 946 boards here You might also try the Intel chipset identification tool if you aren't certain of the exact board number

3) Where did you find the drivers you are trying to use now for that board? Can you provide a link to them so i could see what you're trying to use

4) That cryptic string that appears for the Ethernet Contoller in the Windows Problem Report is its Hardware ID. It can help identify the network adapter chip to help find/verify the driver. Could you provide a copy of that complete problem report?

Or do you have a d945gcnl??? If so, you'll find the drivers here

Also, have you installed the chipset drivers? (if still having issues, still provide that Problem Report with the Hardware IDs)

Hello again. Okay...

I'm running a 32

I agree with you about the weird motherboard number, i couldn't find info on it either, but that's what the guy who made it for me said it was. I can't get a hold of him right, not but if you know a way of checking myself let me know.

I got the drivers from the guy who built it for me. He said he got them from the intel website you linked me to. I couldn't find them myself, so he let me copy the ones he had onto a flash drive. The audio driver he gave me worked, as well as the chipsets. I don't know much about chipsets though for sure, so I can't tell if they're working for sure but they seem to have installed just fine. I do know that two of the items previously listed in the device mgr with "?" are gone now. Only these two are left.

Here's the problem report

Ethernet Controller PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&SUBSYS_D6068086&REV_01\4&360A6DE&0&00E1

Video Controller (VGA Comp...PCI\VEN8086&DEV_2772&SUBSYS_D6068086&REV_02\3&61AAA01&0&10

OK. So i think you had a digit wrong in the motherboard model number. I'm guessing it's a d945gcnl not a d946gcnl

Which then points to this LAN driver for that motherboard (click here to download)
> and, i checked, this driver also appears to match the Hardware ID for your Ethernet Controller

So download and note the directory it extracts the files into (we may need it later).
Then double click to run it and install and reboot.
Any luck?

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! It finally worked. You're a life saver. This was a huge weight lifted on my shoulders. THANK YOU!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back