Help with Gateway computer. Acts like it's dead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,
I'm new here, and know not much at all about computers and the computer terms, so please be patient with me :).
Well I've been having this problem for a while now. Never really got interested in fixing it until now.
I've got a Gateway MFATXPNT ESX 500 P04 running Windows XP Professional. It's got intel Pentium 4(yeah the tower is kinda old).

Bassically when I try to turn it on, the button becomes green, but nothing happens. The mother board lights turn on too, but no fan, not hard drive, nada.

I tried cleaning the dust out of the fans, but no joy.

Anyone got any ideas?

Any help would be greatly appriciated.

You would repair it by replacing the power supply.
I don't know where you're located but stores like Microcenter and Bestbuy or online stores such as Newegg all sell power supplies.
It's not a complicated job, but you do have to be careful when working inside a computer. You don't want to get electrocuted nor do you want to damage other parts while changing a part.
You have to ask yourself if you'd rather invest money repairing an old computer or if you'd be better served by buying a new computer.
It is possible that the motherboard is bad or is also bad but power supplies burn out often enough that they are typically the problem.
The only way to be 100% certain that the power supply is bad is to test it with either a power supply tester or a multimeter.
Only after a faulty power supply is replaced will you know if the motherboard is bad also--as the power supply can damage the motherboard (and other system components) when it fails.
If you're not comfortable working on electronics, then it really wouldn't be cost-effective to pay someone to replace the power supply for you.

You would repair it by replacing the power supply.
I don't know where you're located but stores like Microcenter and Bestbuy or online stores such as Newegg all sell power supplies.
It's not a complicated job, but you do have to be careful when working inside a computer. You don't want to get electrocuted nor do you want to damage other parts while changing a part.
You have to ask yourself if you'd rather invest money repairing an old computer or if you'd be better served by buying a new computer.
It is possible that the motherboard is bad or is also bad but power supplies burn out often enough that they are typically the problem.
The only way to be 100% certain that the power supply is bad is to test it with either a power supply tester or a multimeter.
Only after a faulty power supply is replaced will you know if the motherboard is bad also--as the power supply can damage the motherboard (and other system components) when it fails.
If you're not comfortable working on electronics, then it really wouldn't be cost-effective to pay someone to replace the power supply for you.

Okay thanks. I've got a TEST button on the power supply thing with a LED, but even when the computer is plugged, the LED doesn't come on. So I'm guessing you're right.
As for where I'm located, I'm in Switzerland. Not a cheap country. I'll try looking for one online.
Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back