Help with my hdd

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a brand new Seagate 250gb Barracuda 7200.8rpm and a 160$ venus ds3 external enclosure. I put the drive into my computer and the computer woulnt turn on then I realized it was set to master so I unplugged my other drive the comp still wouldnt turn on so I put it in my external and turned it on and neither would come on. I contacted seagate and they are sending me a replacement. Anyone else ever have a problem like this?

Make sure the hard drive that is the master is at the end of the ide cable and that it is recognized in the bios.

that would not cause it not to turn on
and what do you mean by not turn on no boot or boot and stop error??
does machine boot normal with it back to origin??

Yea I plugged it back into normal hdd and it booted fine. Just when I put the new drive in absolutely nothing turns on. None of the lights on the motherboard come on or anything it is completely off. And when I plug my normal drive I think it's a seagate 80gb everything boots fine.

sounds like bad drive or power supply to weak,going bad
if sata check jumpers to set drive size

SeaGate air shipped me my new hard drive and everything works fine it is obviously a bad hdd. I figure the only way a brand new hard drive could have gone bad is if someone had severely dropped it or if it had gotten shocked somehow. Seagates RMA sure ships fast and they have great customer service and pay to send it back (by calling ups and saying there was something missing) so now i'm happy with my hdd except that it's in fat32 so I will have to reformat it. And also I am going to be using it in an external drive and I plugged it into my old comp to test it and now it partitioned it to 127gb will it be 250gb when I plug it into my external? or will a nice reformat help it?

Preston

there should be unformatted space left
in manager format that
you will not see it in explorer until formatted and assigned drive letter
should be able to combine the 2 partitions if you need to
check jumpers on drive for default disc space

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back