Help with my HP please

Takeda01

I recently bought a HP Paviion Entertainment PC from a friend. The lights come on when plugged in, and when you hit the power button nothing happens on screen. To make matters worse after a few seconds all of the lights flash as if its resetting. He said that the computer went into sleep mode and never woke up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

HP Pavilion Entertainment PC
Windows Vista
AMD Turion 64
Nvidia

Could be anything... hard drive, video graphics card, memory module, defective power supply, bad power switch...
Perhaps a hard drive is worn out or damaged. Easiest time to replace the drive is now... $35 to $65 depending upon size at such online sites as Directron.com, newegg.com, frys.com, pcmal.com, techdepot.com, Krex.com, zipzoomfly.com, or for more at your somewhat friendly local computer shop, BestBuy, etc.

Did your friend give you the HP VISTA recovery/reinstall disk set? You will need those if you need to do a repair install on an old drive, or a clean install on a new drive.

If restore/recovery/repair disks are not available, you can order from HP if you give them the product numbers from the label on the back. The set runs about $27 to $37 including shipping and arrives via FedEx in two or three days.

Good luck. Let us know what you finally figger out.

thanks and no he didnt but i know i can get the recovery disk. Im just trying to find a starting place.

Finding the starting place is difficult... Every tech shop has a slightly different approach.
With that model, I would suspect the hard drive first, based on our experience in repairing them... but that is the most costly if you are wrong unless you have a nice stock of hard drives.
Without the recovery disk set, it can cost you more... unless you have a version of windows handy... You can install without registering so as to test the drive...
It is not a secret that keeping good notes of what you try, and what happens when you make the attempt, can help you in narrowing down the possibilities... Sometimes you can get so far into the diagnostics that you forget what helped and which didn't, then you may find you need to refer back to an earlier diagnostic...
Sometimes components that are not even installed can be part of the difficulty, such as a defective modem or sound card.
Were it in our shop, we would test hard drive, then one memory module at a time.
Do not discount dust, dirt, and fiber, cpu fans, case fans, modems, video cards.
Start as simply as possible... e.g. First look for dust, dirt, and fiber, cpu cooler fan, then setup as one hard drive, power supply, and one memory module.
When you buy a hard drive to test, you will always be able to use it later on... as all hard drives fail.
This hard drive list shows relative reliability in our shop (could be widely different elsewhere) beginning with most reliable: Seagate, Western Digital, Fujitsu (laptops), Toshiba (laptops), Samsung, Maxtor, Hitachi, Tri-Gem. We would automatically replace any Maxtor, Hitachi, or TriGem without even testing,
Of course, you will learn a great number of other approaches as the day runs on.

Raybay knows considerably more than me regarding this, but:

1. I would be swapping out that hard drive first.
2. Is the charging light coming on when you put the mains lead in? My HP displays the same sort of behaviour on a discharged battery.

Given the issues I've had with my HP, I'd be suspecting the battery or charger. (mines 11 months old and has had 1 charger and 2 batteries and is currently back in for its 3rd repair as its now not charging again)

Does it load the boot screen and then die when it gets to the loading windows phase?

Back