Help with nv4_disp infinite loop BSOD

Status
Not open for further replies.

jinscriba

Hey, everyone. I'm back with another problem. This time, it's in my personal laptop.

So, about 3 weeks ago, a friend of mine installed 4 GB RAM into my laptop. After a couple of days with the RAM, I turned on my laptop and find my screen flashing red. Parts of the screen were pixeled red. After backing up my files through safe mode, I brought the computer to the college tech support. They figured it's a driver problem, so they updated my video driver. Into what, I cannot remember. The problem randomly appeared, and that forced me to format and start fresh.

So, a new problem arose. As the title suggested, I randomly get the nv4_disp infinite loop BSOD. Sometimes, my screen would just freeze and not do anything. Sometimes, the screen flashes but I can still move my mouse pointer. And it hasn't really been too friendly when I open the only two games I have in my computer in an attempt to see how bad the damage is.

I looked up some solutions online, which included uninstalling and reinstalling drivers. After a few attempts of that with the 186.81 update the NVIDIA website provided, I rolled back my driver into driver version 6.14.11.119.

So, here are some things about my computer:

Model:
Dell Latitude D830

System:
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Service Pack 3

Computer:
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU t7500 @ 2.20GHz
2.19 GHz with 3.5 GB of RAM

Driver Details:
Currently
NVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M
Driver Version 6.14.11.119

Personally, I wouldn't mind this problem. But I have a final project for a class where I need a video presentation and I am using Pinnacle Studio 10. I'm not sure if it's just me being retarded and missing a driver to install, but I'm pretty sure I reinstalled everything after formatting my computer.

Any help is greatly appreciated. If any more information is needed, please tell me so I can attempt to provide you with correct information (not completely tech savvy for a computer engineering major, ironically).

First of all you have to make sure that the 667 memory and the nvidia driver is compatible with your Dell laptops model, and you should use the Nvidia video and chipset driver from Dell and not from the nvidia site. You can up the shared video memory to 256MB maximum

I am not sure how to increase video memory. I did, however, run dxdiag and found that there is no VDD for the video. Is this a problem?

Also, I tried the drivers from the Dell website. The red flashing pixels came up a couple times, then the screen flashing. Here are my current driver details:

NVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M
Driver Version 6.14.11.7924

I bought the memory from my friend, who used to have them in his laptop of the same model with the same specs (we both ordered the same model of a laptop through a school deal). The memory worked fine for his computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back