Help with overclocking my i7 920 DO

I have a three year old system and here are my specs..everything runs stock right now. Its been running stock the whole time, but now when I play guildwars 2 I seem to use a bvery high percentage of my cpu so I want to overclock. Can anyone help me out with step by step instructions on how to overclock, I dont want anything crazy ..just a little bump. Here are all of my specs that I think are deemed necessary?? If anything else needs to be known let me know :)

There are plenty of great overclocking guides out there, just search "CPU overclocking guide" or something similar and you'll get plenty of good sites. (HERE and HERE are a couple of good ones)

As for my personal tips:
1. Take it slow, go up in small increments and test each setting. There's no point rushing with something like this.
2. Don't keep a stupid overclock. If you can run 2.9GHz at 85 degrees, and you see some good frame-rate improvements, there is no point running 3GHz at 95 degrees for 1 or 2 extra frames.
3. Have fun. Overclocking is cool :cool:

I7 920 is a great overclocker with people hitting levels 4.0+

I would look for (on air ) for a range of 3.4-3.6. Use prime 95 to test your overclock after changing the voltage and frequency and once you get it stable, start dropping the voltage till it becomes unstable.

The lowest stable voltage is what you want to keep that thing cool.

I still own my 920 d0. How much of a bump are you talking? I made it to 4.6 on mine. Watercooled of course but I've done it on air as well.

Back