Help with overheating video card

my xfx 9800gt card getting hot getting up to 99c when watching videos and idle at 70-75c. it was suggested to put new thermal paste by xfx. today I decided to do it had everything I need and couldn't get the fan off.after I remove these screws with spring from the back of the card there is like screws on the other side but no way to remove them. the fan will not pull off and didn't want to apply to much force. any ideas how to remove the fan?

The heatsink is probably stuck to the GPU by the thermal paste. If you wiggle the heatsink from side to side, that should loosen it. If you are sure that all the screws have been removed, you can just pry it up without hurting the card.

In addition to replacing the thermal paste, it would be a good idea to clean all the dust out of the heatsink and fan while you have it apart.

there are metal like prongs sticking through. if I wiggle it it'll break. here is a pic of what I mean assets.overclock.net.s3.amazonaws.com/8/81/817e8e07_vbattach226433.jpeg

In that pic you still have 3 nuts on, i guess its before you stripped it?

You see that metal strip at the top? I think thats also connected to the heatsink somewhere and would need to be removed.

Some things to note, the chances of the thermal paste being the cause is VERY VERY low.
Are you sure your PSU isnt just bad and the 12V line isnt dropping too low?
Have you tried using something like EVGA's Precision util to ramp up fan speed? http://www.evga.com/precision/

that pic is someone else's pic but mine is exactly like that. I used afterburner and have the fan at 100% no difference in temp. the 12v line is showing 12.30 according to speedfan.
In that pic you still have 3 nuts on, i guess its before you stripped it?

You see that metal strip at the top? I think thats also connected to the heatsink somewhere and would need to be removed.

Some things to note, the chances of the thermal paste being the cause is VERY VERY low.
Are you sure your PSU isnt just bad and the 12V line isnt dropping too low?
Have you tried using something like EVGA's Precision util to ramp up fan speed? evga.com/precision

Is the heatsink itself feeling like 90 deg?

If the heat paste isn't doing its job the heatsink wont get as hot as the GPU, so hold onto it with your hand and if it starts to burn your fingers chances are the heat paste works.

9800 is a fairly old card, I wouldn't be surprised if its just busted.

If you loosened every screw you could possibly find all over the card and it still wont come off, try to wedge something plastic between the heatstink and the pcb and softly wedge it to see if it will loosen. Sometimes the heat paste becomes solid from age and acts like glue.

see I thought about getting a new card but all I see is dual slot cards which won't fit my computer.I need a single slot card.
Is the heatsink itself feeling like 90 deg?

If the heat paste isn't doing its job the heatsink wont get as hot as the GPU, so hold onto it with your hand and if it starts to burn your fingers chances are the heat paste works.

9800 is a fairly old card, I wouldn't be surprised if its just busted.

If you loosened every screw you could possibly find all over the card and it still wont come off, try to wedge something plastic between the heatstink and the pcb and softly wedge it to see if it will loosen. Sometimes the heat paste becomes solid from age and acts like glue.

Wow dude single slot is so 1990, why cant u get a dual? just buy a new 50$ case and you'll be fine?

I have a old Geforce GTX 285 lying in my closet for sale :p

the problem with it now the motherboard has the pci express card slot so when I put the card in the fan point up but the other slots are below. the one I tried would hit the case fan.
Wow dude single slot is so 1990, why cant u get a dual? just buy a new 50$ case and you'll be fine?

I have a old Geforce GTX 285 lying in my closet for sale :p

there are metal like prongs sticking through. if I wiggle it it'll break. here is a pic of what I mean assets.overclock.net.s3.amazonaws.com/8/81/817e8e07_vbattach226433.jpeg

Even if you can't wiggle it at all, there is only thermal paste holding the heatsink to the GPU. You can just pull the cooler off with a little bit of force.

Don't graphics cards usually use Thermal Epoxy rather than just a paste to "glue" the heatsink to the GPU? Hence why it won't move easily even if all bolts/screws holding it in play seem to have been removed.

Back