Help with Spyware/Virus removal

By rh348877
Dec 1, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello,

First time here and thought I would see if I could get some help. I have a virus/spyware that is really bothering me.

It changed my desktop background to a blue screen that says "Warning: Spyware threat has been detected on your PC. Along with some links.

I get random webpage popups. I get security alets that say my computer is infected.

My task manager is disabled.

I have Spybot search and destroy on my PC but when I click to open it Spybot won't even open.

I read through the 8 steps to remove spyware sticky and I started going through them and I downloaded Malwarebytes and when I click to open it the program won't even start.

Can anyone help? Please?
  2. rf6647

rf6647 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 931

Welcome to TS. It's regrettable that this thread was not acknowleged in a timely manner. I am trying to anticipate your needs.

First -
    Afterwards -

Presently, the method being used for this type of infestation (non-plug and play) is becoming more ‘typical’.

Successive scans are used to uncover additional infections, since masking is common with many infestations. When a tool reports something it can not clean, that's when the strategy calls for a stronger scanner. The sequence for applying the scanners begins with the standard scanners (fully updated) and ends with the stronnger cleaner, with a side benifit that it adds information about the comparative effectiveness among the tools.

The TDSS exploit (among other non-plug and play driver exploits) is quite the rage. The temptation is to package a method for this. However, the result would be quite lengthy and possibly confusing, since it is not possible to anticipate contributing factors.

We will supplement our guide with a special scan / tool.

Overview -
    • Update both scanners (MBAM, SAS). MBAM version 1306 is many weeks old!
    • ComboFix is a very effective tool that scans / fixes hard to clean infections. Additionally, it includes diagnostic information.
    • Uninstall old copy of ComboFix - if tool was used previously

Supplement to guide. Successive scans used to uncover additional infections.
    • Update both MBAM & SAS. Rerun them both.

• This effort is complete when logs report NO infections/threats, or reporting something it can not clean.

• Follow ComboFix instructions referenced below.

• Scan with HJT. (part of instructions for ComboFix)

• Posts logs. Report progress & what changes are observed. Include logs that found infections.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.