Help with understanding BIOS settings

By BillAllen55
Mar 3, 2009
  1. I've recently built a new computer system. All is up and running (thanks solely to Mr Sharam -look him up if you are looking for straight forward explanations, without any nonsense) .
    After the newness has all worn off, having a machine that has exceeded all expectations. I'm now looking at specific BIOS settings attempting to understand all the numbers with a few questions.
    My profile shows all of the recent components of my system. I don't know where to start with my questions. I'm curious as to know if my bios settings are correct respecting the idea that I do not wish to over clock but do wish to have the most efficient settings to meet the manufactures expectations as to speed of each component installed.
    Where can I learn about expected memory speed? Where can I learn about front side bus north and south?
    What I'm asking is are there websites dedicated to what a BIOS should look like after specific adjustments have been made to compliment the manufactures expected profile?
  2. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

generally, leave the BIOS on automatic. DON'T tweek unless you can afford losing components. Update a BIOS only if you specific need to do so. See the guide in the guides forum.
  3. BillAllen55

BillAllen55 TS Maniac Topic Starter Posts: 368

To slow all concerns as to if I can afford to replace components (as if this has to do with anything) I'm delighted with the thought of the learning process. I do not think of my computer in terms of 'one of the family' and should I blow something up. I will be delighted in learning what it was that I did that caused the effect. I take the recent suggestion as one that might be a shotgun answer to a question that could possibly deserve a certain modicum of thought. Help me if I'm wrong thinking this way, I THOUGHT this was a Q&A forum for technical questions regarding computers and what makes them run.
    After reviewing the techspot guides (a second time) I'm not finding requested information. My specific question (reiterated) is:
  4. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

when you're saying too slow- try reading how to speed up my pc / windows guides in the guides forum.

I don't recommend overclocking ever. too easy to burn out components....
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.