Help with Upgrading a Dell Dimension E510

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got a new video card and power supply to support the video card, but i don't know how many watts my motherboard can take. Could anyone help me figure that out because i couldn't find it on my bios.

The M/b will only take how much watts it needs, even if you had a thousand watt PowerSupply.
It came with a 305 W Power Supply
Anything better than that will do

As long as the Power Supply is the correct voltage for your country (most likely yes) 115 or 230 V
Then you can a 2000Watt power supply

There are many many other issues
20 or 24 Pin Main Power Connector
Sata Power Required
Weight (yes the heavier they are the better they are)
Internal Fan Size
Dual 12V Rails

The list goes on and on

Now I might get other support members, stating the total power should not exceed twice the power required
And lots of other info

But anyway, haven't you bought one already?

kimsland, multiple 12V rails really aren't as good as a single, if I'm not mistaken.

No, as kimsland said, you could theoretically have a 2000 Watt PSU, and not have to worry about anything, and as kimsland said, the computer will only take power that is needed.

There is no reason to worry about multiple rails vs single rails in a Dell. Ever. The golden rule is to not pay extra for multiple rails, as it is mostly marketing. But a unit like that is usually solid and dependable for other reasons. The Dell power supply will handle most video cards just fine, but for a high end card, you need to go up to 450 or 500 Watts... Quality is significantly more important than Watts. So get a solid name brand such as PC Power and Cooling, FSP Group, Corsair, OCZ, or about 87 others. There is a list published on this forum that is close to excellent.

Just wondering, why did you buy a new PSU? Unless your new card is not from the GeForce 8600 series or an HD 3850, your current PSU would have been fine.

mopar man said:
Rage, are you saying the 8600 will run on a decent 305watt psu? Thanks, I never knew that!
I don't know about others, but that PSU has 22A on the +12V rails, beefy enough for an HD 3850 or an 8600GTS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back