TechSpot

Help with upgrading the graphics card on my PC

By bubblefay
Jan 23, 2010
  1. hey everyone :) i can use a litle help...i want to change the graphics card in my pc ( i have done it before on my last pc so installation isn't the problem) but i can't seem to get a straight answer about what the best gcard is for my current system. here are my specs:

HP a6120n

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 4400@2.00Ghz

2.00GB RAM

Windows Vista 32 bit system

Inte(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family

i hope thats enough info lol! any suggestions? thanks again :)

2. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,682   +86

I'd say something in the midrange should be alright, and important consideration is how much you are willing to spend on it?

3. bubblefay

bubblefay TS Rookie Topic Starter

honestly i don't want to spend more than $150-200 (less even if i go on ebay lol!) but what do you mean by "midrange" i want the graphisc upgrade mostly for gaming.....my pc is 3 yrs old so alot of graphis look like crap now lol! :)

4. Archean

Well in that budget range go for ATI Radeon HD 5770 (if you want to buy DX11 card); its pretty fast and with decent settings for most games.

Here is a comparison (by tom's) for your reference; i hope this will help you reach a decision.

You can have nVidia Geforce 250GTS as well in this range.

Attached Files:

5. bubblefay

ty very much! now this may sound like a silly question...but how do i tell if i have a pci express? ty again :)

6. Archean

You have an C2D CPU with intel 945 chipset motherboard and it should have an PCI-E slot, anyway it looks something like this

7. bubblefay

you totally rock! though i am not as pc savy as you, i hope one day i can return the favor!! :) thanks ever so much again! :)

8. Archean

9. Archean

You are most welcome, and I am not as tech savy as i used to be :/ lol

Anyway best of luck with whichever graphic card you choose to get.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.