TechSpot

Help with upgrading the graphics card on my PC

By bubblefay
Jan 23, 2010
  1. hey everyone :) i can use a litle help...i want to change the graphics card in my pc ( i have done it before on my last pc so installation isn't the problem) but i can't seem to get a straight answer about what the best gcard is for my current system. here are my specs:

HP a6120n

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 4400@2.00Ghz

2.00GB RAM

Windows Vista 32 bit system

Inte(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family

i hope thats enough info lol! any suggestions? thanks again :)

2. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,056   +76

I'd say something in the midrange should be alright, and important consideration is how much you are willing to spend on it?

3. bubblefay

bubblefay TS Rookie Topic Starter

honestly i don't want to spend more than $150-200 (less even if i go on ebay lol!) but what do you mean by "midrange" i want the graphisc upgrade mostly for gaming.....my pc is 3 yrs old so alot of graphis look like crap now lol! :)

4. Archean

Well in that budget range go for ATI Radeon HD 5770 (if you want to buy DX11 card); its pretty fast and with decent settings for most games.

Here is a comparison (by tom's) for your reference; i hope this will help you reach a decision.

You can have nVidia Geforce 250GTS as well in this range.

Attached Files:

5. bubblefay

ty very much! now this may sound like a silly question...but how do i tell if i have a pci express? ty again :)

6. Archean

You have an C2D CPU with intel 945 chipset motherboard and it should have an PCI-E slot, anyway it looks something like this

7. bubblefay

you totally rock! though i am not as pc savy as you, i hope one day i can return the favor!! :) thanks ever so much again! :)

8. Archean

9. Archean

You are most welcome, and I am not as tech savy as i used to be :/ lol

Anyway best of luck with whichever graphic card you choose to get.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.