Help with Video Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a computer that iv spent alot of time and money on. for some reason the monitor will not work. I can plug the monitor into any other pc and it works but for some reason when i plug the monitor into my pc it wonte work. iv tried other monitors and had the same problem. I think my onboard vid went out....

What do I do???? when i plug it in the light on the monitor stays yellow (no sig)

and nothing happens. the green light on the motherboard lights up and everything boots up just to picture.. Is there any cord i can but to hook the monitor up a diffrent way like maybe usb or anything... I went out and got a video card but do to the not being able to see i cant install it to use it lol ANY WISDOM WOULD BE HELP :)

It would be nice to have a configuration and some of the key components by brand and model.

Its a Gateway 3310s

512 mb ram
Intel 4 Pentium D processor 2.8Ghz
259-W psu
ATM 20 Gig hard drive (Empty)

I even took everything extra out to make sure it wasent low on power and it still didnt work.

thats all i can realy tell you do to the cant see anything at all problem

my sister owned it and it went out so she gave it to me and i found out the processor had 2 pins broke so i put in a new one (same ghz and all) and everyhitng works....just no screen

Did this happen before or after you tried to install the new video card. 259 watts is low for an upgrade.

Low in Power. Likely low in memory.

But it depends on how you dealt with the broken pins processor more than anything else. Are you sure a broken pin is not stuck in the socket?

How were the pins broken?

Hang on now... it's a Pentium D and two of the pins broke?

This equates to needing a new motherboard.

Do you get any beeps? If you're getting no beeps then your processor likely isn't working or can't work due to the broken socket on the motherboard.

Anyway, as has been mentioned before, we need detailed specifications - make & model etc.

2 pins were gone not in the socket tho.. it happened b4 the video card.. i cant install it cuz i cant see also no beeps at all

Also when i turn the pc on the mouse and keybored lights flicker once then ...gone... the video card is on my desk so its not a power problem its the psu that came with it

Definitely, the Power Supply is the Likely Suspect.
The best simple test I know is to get to where you can see the back of the power supply where it blows air out of the back of the computer. Use a strong light so you can see well. Unplug then reinsert the power cord into the computer.
Then push the computer <ON> Button.
If the power supply is bad, the fan on the power supply will turn just a tad... from perhaps 1 inch to 3/4 of a full turn then stop, and not do so again until you unplug then replug the power cord.
Power Supply testers are cheap... and will make you friends as people need you to test their computers.
The trick is to get a good power supply replacement, without paying too much. We have been very happy for years with the following: Antec, Apevia, BFG, BlackTagen, CoolerMaster, Corsair, Enermax, Fortron, FSP Group, FoxConn, i-Star, MSI, OCZ, PC Power & Cooling (one of the best, but costly), Seasonic (Terrific), Silverstone, Sparkle, Thermaltake, Xion, and Zalman.
Power supplies to avoid: CoolMax, Dynapower, HEC, KDM, Kingwin, Logisys, Powerman, RaidMax, Tiger, and Ultra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back