Help with vnp

Status
Not open for further replies.

metzy85

I have one question i can not figure out about this whole vnp thing, i have the connection setup in xp the router configured correctly but i do not know what do i use as the password and login. where do i set them and like what could they be?

yeah sry another guy just asked that on another forum i meant to say virtual private network. my apologies

No problem. Which router are you using, how many computers are in the network and what is the configuration you're trying to setup?

-- Andy

Ok heres the full story. I work for a local ballet company and help them with there computers. Sometimes though being lazy over takes my motivation. So i got the great idea of doing things remotly. Heres there set up and then i will tell u wut i have tried. They have sbc dsl which goes into a WRV54g linksys router(very nice router if i do say not bad at all) and from there through one of the rosuter ports it goes into a linksys switch and out to the 7 or so ethernet wall jacks. They have 7 computers i am pretty sure hard cabled. I have gotten tight vnc to work when i am there on the network it self great put the comp in listen mode and then go to my laptop type the local ip and i have control its great simple and it works. SO i tried to take it to the next step and connect from the outside and that is not going so good. i would like to use tight vnc but there support frankly sucks. and a virtual provate network looked good because the router itself has a thing for VPN and i think i have it set up right but idk. basically i want to get control of any of the desktops on the network. any help or suggestions at this piotn would be greatly appreciated. Critism is good to. anything.

Since you're a noovice at this, I'd recommend just using the Windows Network Setup Wizard on each computer. Just assign the same workgroup to all of them. This sets them up in a "peer-to-peer" network. All that simply means is no one computer has authority over any other.

Repost if you have questions about setting this up.

Best,
-- Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back