Help with WD My Book

Status
Not open for further replies.
My husband and I just got this hd and it does not work! I've tried everything I can think of and it will not turn on at all:( Any suggestions? Thanks!

Well we actually got it as a gift for Christmas but didn't open it before because we didn't need it until now. Lesson learned:(

What do you mean by "Won't turn on"?
Do any lights show? Can you hear any noise?
Does it need to be formatted?

Probably don't need to point out the obvious, but maybe I do. Since it is a large external (physically, 3.5" rather than 2.5" drive in it) you have to use the external power source, it won't run off USB only like the Elements or My Passports.

I'd still try to take it back... Most places will take it, opened and without receipt for a store credit/exchange.

When they won't power on, I have found that the drive is usually not the problem. If you cannot return the item, then I would suggest cracking the case on the drive. The drive is likely fine and you could buy another external enclosure for it. I would not buy the enclosure locally, but would do research on Newegg and buy the new hard drive enclosure from them.

Another WD My Book Problem

Not sure if I should start a new thread on this or not, but since it is a WD My Book issue, am posting as reply...

Have had a 2T WD My Book on continuously for about 4 months, using as NAS attached to my router at home. Was running one Vista and 2 XP machines on the network, backing all of them up to the My Book.

Replaced an XP machine with a Win7 machine, installed the WD Discovery software, and had a lot of trouble having it find the WD drive. Finally, after several reboots of both PC and WD drive, things seemed to work.... Except...

Now the WD goes "offline" at irregular intervals (1 hr after a reboot or 2 days after a reboot) -- none of the PC's can see it on the network until I reboot the drive. I checked w/WD tech support, they suggested I make sure I have the latest firmware (which I do), and that as a last resort I re-format the drive - which I don't want to do as it took a long time to do the various machine backups to it and there is no guarantee it will work. Since I have regularly scheduled backups at night, this unpredictable going offline is a real problem for me...

Any thoughts out there? Why would this happen from changing an XP to a Win7 machine on the network?

Many thanks!

It might be a power management issue. See [post=753513]How to Avoid Problems with USB Storage Devices[/post]. Also, does the WD software do any type of power management?

Thanks!

I'll read the link on USB storage devices, but this one is connected only via Ethernet to the router, has its own AC power. I have it connected to an APC UPS that also manages my cable modem and routers. WD does not do power management as far as I know. It had no problems until the Win7 machine was added to the network.

but this one is connected only via Ethernet to the router,

Oh. i skimmed your post. Missed the ethernet vs. usb fact. There is also power management associated with the network adapter and it may or may not be relevant in this case but still you might want to turn off Power management on net adapter as well, just in case

/* edit */
in device manager, rt click the net adapter and look for Power Mgmt tab

Assume you mean the NIC on the PC (if you are talking about Device Manager)? How would that make a remote network drive lose its settings so that other PC's on the network can't see it either?

Gives me a thought, though: I'll log into the Drive as Admin and see if there are any power management options there...

As before - Thanks!

Yes, i mean the NIC on the PC

I'm thinking that's how a PC might stop seeing it (or how each PC stops seeing it)

> NIC goes into a suspended/sleep state
> But when woken up it may no longer see the network device (or at least doesn't see it for awhile)

Windows has had a number of problems with USB ports resuming from suspend so am just suggesting might be something to try for the NIC as well

/* edit */
Gives me a thought, though: I'll log into the Drive as Admin and see if there are any power management options there...
Great idea as well!

Trying it out - Thanks

Logged into the My Book admin options, there is indeed a power management option. So, even though it seems to have done OK with it enabled until now, I disabled it yesterday PM. So far so good, but will have to go another 2 - 3 days w/o problems before I can pronounce it "solved". Will get back to you w/update.

Again, thanks for the tech help!

I'd still try to take it back... Most places will take it, opened and without receipt for a store credit/exchange.

When they won't power on, I have found that the drive is usually not the problem. If you cannot return the item, then I would suggest cracking the case on the drive. The drive is likely fine and you could buy another external enclosure for it. I would not buy the enclosure locally, but would do research on Newegg and buy the new hard drive enclosure from them.

Thanks for the reply:) I did try and take it back and they wouldn't do it:( I called the customer service number and they are having me send mine in and will exchange it.

What do you mean by "Won't turn on"?
Do any lights show? Can you hear any noise?
Does it need to be formatted?

No lights, no noise. The computer didn't even recognize a device was plugged into it.

Probably don't need to point out the obvious, but maybe I do. Since it is a large external (physically, 3.5" rather than 2.5" drive in it) you have to use the external power source, it won't run off USB only like the Elements or My Passports.

Ha. Yes, I know it needs an external power source. No luck:(

Continued problems

Logged into the My Book admin options, there is indeed a power management option. So, even though it seems to have done OK with it enabled until now, I disabled it yesterday PM. So far so good, but will have to go another 2 - 3 days w/o problems before I can pronounce it "solved". Will get back to you w/update.

Again, thanks for the tech help!

To LookinAround: Well, the My Book went offline sometime this PM.... Will now play w/power options on the Win7 computer, but still don't see how that would affect another device on a network...

@amanda
It may be too late to return it but the drive is probably still under warranty. So i'd contact the vendor to get it fixed or replaced

@TheWitchDoctor
To LookinAround: Well, the My Book went offline sometime this PM.... Will now play w/power options on the Win7 computer, but still don't see how that would affect another device on a network...

On the one hand, when i 1st read the thread i missed the fact that all of the PCs on your net could had this problem. And , is true, a PC NIC in suspended mode might affect the one PC and likely not the others. But is a slim chance that the same problem is occuring on each of the PCs (as they each suspend their own NIC) and since is easy to test and turn off power management for all PCs is worth a shot.

If problem persists, you're probably best to see if you can have the drive replaced if it's under warranty. If that's not possible, you might see if this hack might help:
> Write a simple batch (.bat) file that accesses the drive (e.g. a one line command like dir X:\ )
> Now schedule it to run periodically on one your PCs to see if keeping the drive busy at some regular interval keeps it from falling offline

Word from Western Digital Support

To LookinAround...

Looks like WD agrees w/you! I sent them the Admin logs from the device for the past several days; they asked that I return it under warranty...

Many thanks for all of your advice and thought on this!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back