Help with Windows XP install

danielayto

Firstly, as this is my first post, hello! I have a computer problem, and have been reading this site for a few days and it has been very very helpful so far, but now i need a little more guidance.

Firstly, i have a HP desktop and a Sony VAIO laptop, both working fine with XP Pro.

My sister was recently given a Toshiba Sat Pro, and it seems the laptop has been completely wiped of everything. So, i fancied having a go at putting XP onto it. I purchased a new charger for it (it was missing) and purchased XP.

First time i attempted to install XP, it seemed to go fine, but then about 60% into the install, it began having problems with files, about 10, one of them being msvcrt.dll, which it couldnt copy. The other files that it wouldnt copy also, started with msv..... seemed strange to me.

So, after reading some threads and not knowing the condition of the laptop, i downloaded and run Memtest86. This picked up NO errors at all. So all good

Tried re-installing several times since this, and same issue. The file mscvrt.dll comes up every time though. I have cleaned the disc (its new anway) and it looks perfect. Still the same.

Any advice??

Sorry should add more info. The laptop was originally supplied with Xp pro, as it has a sticker on it confirming it with the product key. I just wish to get the laptop running again

Could be a harddrive issue. Go to Seagate's website and look for their harddrive diagnostic utility called SeaTools.

Burn the utility to a CD and just like Memtest place CD in the drive and boot up. Again, like Memtest, this utility will almost immediately engage.

Now choose the following tests to run in this order: S.M.A.R.T., Short DST (Diagnostic Self Test), and especially the Long DST.

* Get back to us with the results.

Thank you Route44

I have done this and this is the results:

Short DST: passed
Long DST: passed

So no problems there either. Any ideas??

When you say it was wiped clean what do you mean?

I would say if XP was already loaded these instructions would help: http://www.ehow.com/how_6372455_repair-msvcrt_dll-windows-xp.html

But being that you can't even install XP I am going to ask another member to look in on this. Keep in mind we are all volunteers so it may take some time to respond. The person I am going to make this request of is very help and very good.

Well, the laptop has no OS at all. XP was obviously on it before, hence the microsoft sticker underneath.

From reading other threads, the only thing i can now think of is that the cd rom drive is perhaps not good enough??

Theres only like i said 10 or so files that it wont copy from the Windows XP install disc, is there a way i can perhaps just try to get those sorted??

Forgive me here as my knowledge on this sort of things is pretty much NIL

Hmmm....

Route44's already had you check memory and disk (which would also have been my first guess)..

Though on re-reading your first post, one point you say that MIGHT be telling
Tried re-installing several times since this, and same issue. The file mscvrt.dll comes up every time though
So questions
> Is always same set of files that fail all the time?
> As you say is always msvcrt.dll (and other files starting ms also fail?)

By chance are you using your HP or Sony install disks to install this Toshiba??

Or you using an MS retail disk or a Sony disk or what???

/* edit */
I BELIEVE (not 100% about it) msvcrt.dll and other certain files (including some other ms files) come from a C++ library windows chooses based on your hardware, 32 vs 64 bit CPU etc. so wonder if the install disk is a mismatch for the hardware maybe, if you're using a specific vendor CD??? As you also say same files always fail. If it were memory or disk or such i'd think the filenames would vary some.. is just my thought....

No its not my Sony or HP disk. I bought it from a chap on ebay. But i did pop the disk into my Sony to have a quick look at the disc to make sure it run, and noticed it had some DELL files on it..........

So id hazard a guess i came from a DELL once upon a time.

Yes that msvcrt.dll always comes up

Any advice now??

No its not my Sony or HP disk. I bought it from a chap on ebay. But i did pop the disk into my Sony to have a quick look at the disc to make sure it run, and noticed it had some DELL files on it..........

So id hazard a guess i came from a DELL once upon a time.

Yes that msvcrt.dll always comes up

Any advice now??
Yea, sounds like you're using a DELL CD to install on the Toshiba hardware is why msvcrt.dll always comes up.

Which brings up a secondary issue, what license key will you use to activate? Is there a Windows product key COA sticker on the Toshiba? Are you going to use that key to activate? As i think a Toshiba XP activation key would only work with a Toshiba installation CD.

Have you tried contacting Toshiba? See if possible to get XP recovery CDs from them? (don't think vendor recovery CDs are expensiv - if you can still get them. i think HP charged about $16USB. You might try contacting Toshiba first to find out if possible and how much)

/* edit */
I think (again not 100%) if not a Toshiba license and Toshiba install/recovery CD you'd need an MS retail license along with an MS retail install CD

/* edit2 */
In worst case, don't know what apps you want to run on the machine, but if you mostly need basics like browsing, email, media player, etc. you might consider an alternative free OS. Some others on this forum use Ubuntu.. but can get back to that later if you can't get a Windows version for install

The chap from ebay i bought the install disk from has provided me the key for that disk. I also have the key that the Toshiba had as well. Just seems a shame, the guy selling the Windows XP disk, doesnt say it only works on Dell's, and he has sold lots of them and had lots of good feedback as well, so im very confused! There must be something i can do to sort this?

The Toshiba when switched on loads the Windows XP window, and when it tries to boot it then kicks up the blue screen of death i think its called saying STOP............and then mentions it is missing mscvrt.dll.......

So should i go back to the guy and say that the disk is no use? I really want to get this laptop running :(

The Toshiba when switched on loads the Windows XP window, and when it tries to boot it then kicks up the blue screen of death
OH! :blush:

On the one hand, i think i mis-read things.

I thought your msvcrt.dll issue was occurring during the XP CD setup install. Now i understand you've completed the install and it occurs while you are booting into Windows. But i think it still sounds like it's an issue of the wrong version of msvcrt.dll being installed on the machine (i.e. windows can't find the right version for your hardware and software install so you get a STOP BSOD with msvcrt.dll missing message)

On the other hand, I can't really help otherwise.
> I don't really know for certain if you'll be able to activate your Windows installation even if you could get past your msvcrt.dll problem
> But more important, I can't help either as you;re not using a legit or legal product license key either as someone on ebay has been cloning their Dell CD and selling their activation key

Can only recommend you use your legit license from Toshiba on the COA sticker with Toshiba installation CDs OR get a different but legit Window license with matching install CDs OR post in the forums to learn about installing and running Ubuntu.

Good luck.

beginners guide to installing Ubuntu Linux on your computer

Im having no luck at all!!! Please somebody help before i bin this laptop!

So ive given up with Windows XP for now, and thought id try installing Ubuntu. I downlaoded it and burnt it using my other laptop.

I placed the disc into the Toshiba and got it to boot, it loaded a screen with Ubuntu in the middle, and seemed to be doing something, the screen then went off, and then it came up with this error message:

(initramfs) mount: mounting /dev/loop0 on //filesystem.squashfs failed: Input/output error
Can not mount /dev/loop0 (/cdrom/casper/filesystemfs) on //filesystem.squashfs

Now im stuck again as i have no idea what to do now!

Above that error message on the screen it says:

BusyBox v1.15.3 (Ubuntu 1:1.15.3-1ubuntu5) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

You'll be best to start a new thread with new title asking for Ubuntu help to get the attention of the Ubuntu users. I'm not very familiar with it myself.

Ok, after having trouble installing Ubuntu, im going back to trying Windows again! Heres a list of the files that wont install:

Msvcrt20.dll, msvideo.dll, msvcrt.dll, msvcp60.dll, msvfw32.dll, msxml.dll, msvbvm60.dll, msvidctl.dll, msw3prt.dll, mswdat10.dll, mswebdvd.dll, msxbde40.dll, mswmdm.dll

Is there any way i can possibly install these files another way?

Back