HELP !! XP wont boot: unmountable_boot_volume

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. I was suspicous that my laptop had a virus due to alot of hard disk activity on its own so I turned it off (and removed battery). I ran Nortons anti-virus (CD boot) and it seems clean. Now I'm wondering if Windows was doing an auto-update (without prompting me) and I killed it in the middle?

Possibly damaged the boot partition as now it wont boot up and the message reads:

Unmountable_boot_volume

Technical= STOP: 0x000000ED (0x8128EA68, 0xc000009c, etc)

It doesnt have a floppy drive but I have a USB memory stick. Is it possible to make a boot from this and then run some partition fix tool?

Any HELP much appreciated.

cheers
Kiwi-in-sweden

Still no luck

thanks for your help. I'm not sure if this is the problem but it makes sense that perhaps Windows has caused a problem.

I believed I had a virus due to alot of hard disk activity when i wasnt running anything but perhaps windows was being updated in the background automatically. I shut it down which may have damaged the MBR (master boot record) is it was being updated. I need to find a good tool that will look at the MBR and tell if its ok or not...ideas?

cheers

If you boot from your Windows cd and load the recovery console you can fix the mbr from there. See HERE.

If you do a google search for fixmbr you will find lots of info about it.

Regards Howard :)

As above, many hardrives actually do maintenance when idle, mine always does. this would explain your HDD noise.

MBR Fix

thanks. I did wonder about that but seem to recall it saying something about overwriting records? I mean - if it creates a new MBR - will it delete or damage any data on the HDD? (I'm not a techy) .. :)

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back