Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

viracocha711

I have an old laptop, a Dell Inspiron 9100, it has been a very reliable computer for 5 years but I am now having some issues...It takes forever to boot up and then it is so sluggish I can not even use it.

My question is...Does this sound like a memory issue or a software problem? I am 99% sure it is not a security issue. I have always had AVG; Spy Sweeper; Zone Alarm on the system with AVG and Spy Sweeper doing daily scans.

Thanks to all of you that have helped me start to learn more about my computers!

If it is a software problem, how do I go about finding the problem if the computer is to slow or sluggish to use?

Thanks!

Man, there are so many things that can be wrong with 5 year old laptop.
-Can you list the specs?
-you could have more softwares starting up that you need.
-you could be low on RAM due to the one above
-your HDD may be near death or it has a sector problems.
-you could have some nasty bug
-your computer may be overheating to much

there a lot more problems that you could be facing, your laptop just may be way to old. When was the last time you reinstalled the OS?

It would be great if ....

... Guides & Solved Issues would include a general troubleshooting reference.

In this forum, consider Slow computer & high cpu usage and Suggested Reference Material.

As indicated by Pioneerx01, without specific symptoms, it is a process of elimination and tweaks.

Msconfig, HJT, Spybot S&D : these are ways to control startup applications.

Many applications can be configured not to run at Startup and not to automatically seek updates.

Just what you don't need - applications to maintain the registry or run "hardware" tests. System Mechanic & others are out there.

Basic hardware tests: chkdsk and memtest86

Check you events logs for errors & warnings.

And this is the popular .....15-step malware treatment.

And in your spare time, consider tweaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back