Here's how to make those old console games look better than ever

By Shawn Knight
Aug 27, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Modern televisions are great for watching modern media formats but if you've ever tried some retro gaming with a dated console on a newer set, you're already aware that things turn ugly real quick. Never mind the fact that you...

Read more
  2. psycros

psycros TS Evangelist Posts: 1,295   +663

Nearly all retro gamers are using emulators now where these kinds of problems are virtually unheard of. The few hard-cores who are still running the old consoles probably have a vintage tube TV hooked up. You can also CRT monitors with consoles that feature composite outputs (which I think was nearly all of the 90's and early 00 ones).
  3. Experimentongod

Experimentongod TS Addict Posts: 209   +82

I agree, by using emulators graphics can be enhanced drastically, and true hardcore retro "as it was meant to be played" gamers are going to use retro TVs also, so the appeal of this kind of hardware is pretty limited I'd say.
  4. fimbles

fimbles TS Evangelist Posts: 1,158   +197

Would it not be a lot cheaper to just buy a tv with a scart input?
  5. Dukenukemx

Dukenukemx TS Member Posts: 71   +16

People do realize that the natural blur effect of older TVs was a way to anti-aliasing the image? If you want to experience lag free truly sharp imaging then use an emulator with Supereagle filter. It'll make the imagine super sharp with modern AA. Just make sure the emulator supports that filter, or if not then find the plugin for it.
  6. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,937   +157

I sold my snes and nes years ago, no emulator has really matched the old feel completely.
  7. thelatestmodel

thelatestmodel TS Enthusiast Posts: 85   +20

"Would it not be a lot cheaper to just buy a tv with a scart input?"

North American TVs do not have SCART, and never have. It's much harder for them to play old consoles.