Here's some brain food for you.

erwin1978

Which came first, the chicken or the egg I ate this morning? :dead:

A few months ago I was struggling with the concept of programmers using programs to create other programs. It's a mind-twister I know. I personally use Microsoft's Visual C++ IDE to create programs and I found it interesting that Visual C++ itself was compiled with Visual C++. At some point you have to ask yourself: where does it all start.

Someone from another forum, then reminded me that from the beginning there was man. Man created the very first, primitive compiler using raw zeros and ones. From that first compiler, evolved other compilers and programs that were more advanced than previous ones. Assembly language came of age and the first UNIX OS was created. Then the C programming language came and UNIX was rewritten with it.

You see why I found this very interesting. It almost resembles my other thread regarding the beginning of the universe. In a way, Man is god of the computer world.

erwin1978, you scare me. If I may interject something ? If you spent that much time analyzing your school work, mabee you wouldn't be worried about finishing ?? Like I said, just a thought, not meant to be a dis. And Bill or Steve would argue that they where the God of the computer world, of course that would make one of them Satan :evil:

Sorta explains why current languages are referred to as 5th generation...
First came the 0 then the 1 ;)

I learned C in the Unix environment where you basically used a text editor to create your code and then used the system ANSI C compiler to create your program. I remembering arguing with a 4th year student at the time that there was no industry standard Object oriented language at the time, he said C++ but its just C with an added module to lend it OO. Java was the first OO language written from the ground up but at the time hadn't truely been accepted by the computing industry.

Originally posted by erwin1978
"C++ itself was compiled with Visual C++."
I think you left out a few facts here:confused:

So perhaps you should, forgrget computer science, and concentrate on philosophy

I think he meant the Microsoft C++ API was built using C++, thats right isn't it? Or should I save the Microsoft C++ graphical programming environment was ;)

The entire Visual C++ suite was created by itself. We're talking about Microsoft here; how much more conceited can you get if you use your own proprietary compiler to recreate itself. :eek:

I took a Philosophy course during my Freshman year and it was hard. Funny enough, we discussed about the existance of God. I knew the course wasn't for me as I had trouble understanding the textbook that was assigned; too many big words like omnipotent and altruistic. :(

Originally posted by boeingfixer
erwin1978, you scare me. If I may interject something ? If you spent that much time analyzing your school work, mabee you wouldn't be worried about finishing ?? Like I said, just a thought, not meant to be a dis. And Bill or Steve would argue that they where the God of the computer world, of course that would make one of them Satan :evil:

I didn't mean one specific man created the birth of the computer world; humankind did that. :rolleyes:

I didn't mean one specific man created the birth of the computer world; humankind did that. :rolleyes:

Ahh I see, however, I think they would still argue with us about that fact ;). It is a very interesting subject thought.

I took a Philosophy course during my Freshman year and it was hard. Funny enough, we discussed about the existance of God. I knew the course wasn't for me as I had trouble understanding the textbook that was assigned; too many big words like omnipotent and altruistic. :(
Ah, but Philosophy is supposed to be hard, to make you think deeply, about questions like you posed here.
it's good to make your brain work

Back