TechSpot

Hi Speed USB host controllers?

By biosbro
Aug 1, 2007
  1. When i insert my Kingston (or other) flash drive my computer tells me 'that it could perform faster if plugged into a Hi Speed 2.0 port' - which all mine are!
    The flyout tells me there are 'no Hi Speed USB host controllers installed on this computer' but as far as i'm aware there are no driver issues.

Any advice?

Matt

2. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,978   +362

Check the Device Manager and see if there are any yellow symbols next to any devices, especially USB controllers. If so, the appropriate drivers will have to be installed.

3. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,310   +617

see the attachment; the first intel(r) is the hispeed, all the others are usb 1.1

Attached Files:

4. gguerra

gguerra TS Maniac Posts: 317

How old is your computer? It could be that it only has USB 1.1 ports. If that is the case you could buy a PCI card giving you USB 2.0 pretty cheap (probablly less than $20)

5. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 2,385   +105

Sometimes if the system is old and you use some of those cheap USB 2.0 Controller Cards, you might run into problems with the devices you attach to them?

6. gguerra

gguerra TS Maniac Posts: 317

Sometimes, but you wont know till you try.. I recently added USB 2.0 to an older PC I have, (Pentium 4 1.6ghz, Windows 2000, Intel Mobo) It worked fine with an MP3 player and wireless network adapter that I use.

7. mailpup

For what it's worth, I added an Adaptec USB 2.0 PCI card to an old PC and haven't had any problems with it. Pentium 3, 750MHz, Windows 98SE. I've used a USB wireless adapter and various flash drives. The main difficulty is finding device drivers for Win 98SE. Those USB devices that support Win 98SE work fine.

8. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,310   +617

yes, Win/98* is a real pain getting USB to work for all devices.

9. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 2,385   +105

Adaptec is a good brand, I was saying some of the cheaper ones don't work so fell. The type you buy at the Computer Fair... Never again for me..

XP
    and up support USB 2.0 Win 2000 should? Can't remember everyone here uses XP some testing on Vista Business is going on..

10. mailpup

I use Windows 2000 at work and it has supported 2.0 flash drives and an external USB DVD burner.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.