Inactive Hidden programs and browser redirect after windows recovery virus removal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sunday night I was struck with the windows recovery virus, I have no idea how I got it, I was on facebook when the popup happened. I followed the directions on www.bleepingcomputer.com that happened to be the first one to show when I searched. The virus is gone, however I'm still being redirected after searches, first it says countrysidegolf.com then takes me to either a new search page or a buy our software for malware removal. Also, I used the program they said to unhide my programs but there is still a lot of stuff hidden. Like mircosoft office. I know it's there, I can get to it through save documents, but it's not showing in the folder in c drive or start menu.

Help please.

I'm using a dell vostro 1000 laptop running windows xp and use internet explorer to browse.

Fran

Welcome to TechSpot! I'll help with the redirect, but need information first:

Please follow the steps in the Preliminary Virus and Malware Removal thread HERE.

NOTE: If you already have any of the scanning programs on the computer, please remove them and download the versions in these links.

When you have finished, leave the logs for review in your next reply .
NOTE: Logs must be pasted in the replies. Attached logs will not be reviewed.

Please do not use any other cleaning programs or scans while I'm helping you, unless I direct you to. Do not use a Registry cleaner or make any changes in the Registry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back