High Court orders major ISP to block usenet site due to piracy

By Rick
Jul 29, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. On Thusrday, the British High Court ruled that British Telecommunications, one of the largest ISPs in the world, must block public access to Newzbin2, a popular source for downloading illegitimate…

Read the whole story
  2. dedparrot

dedparrot Newcomer, in training Posts: 67

the answer is easy.

boycott BT. which isn't very hard to do since they provide pretty crap speeds and crap prices.
  3. Tomorrow_Rains

Tomorrow_Rains TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 179

If i understand correctly, Which i do.

This is just the beginning, But then again...British Telecommunication Customers can just use a proxy or get a vpn.

Until the MPAA decides to ban that too. Which i'm pretty sure they are working on it.
  4. fimbles

fimbles TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,230   +119

BT are the most overhyped of the british isps.

Over priced, over managed, And soon to lose a lot of customers it seems.
  5. Benny26

Benny26 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,573   +47

This will only be the start you can feel. Who knows now where the censorship could end.
  6. dedparrot

dedparrot Newcomer, in training Posts: 67

the good thing about the uk is we can switch isp's pretty quickly, and there's a million to choose from. a privilege unfortunately our fellow americans do not have.
  7. cuerdc

cuerdc Newcomer, in training Posts: 23

Newzbin2

Never tried this site before thanks for advertising it will start using it now :D
  8. yRaz

yRaz TechSpot Booster Posts: 854   +74

I could not agree more with Peter Bradwell. The way we consume media has changed so the market has to change with it.

I have comcast, my ONLY other option is verizon DSL...
  9. Darkshadoe

Darkshadoe TechSpot Maniac Posts: 514   +95

So when are they going to block access to Google?
  10. howzz1854

howzz1854 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 585   +79

it seems with all the blocking that's going on around the world.... Proxy is becoming more and more reasonable solution. and i am not even talking about pirating. but simple sometimes when i watch too many netflix online, clocking in too much bandwidth at a time, my ISP somehow throttles down the speed. and this is not just me, other people have experienced this. Proxy solves the problem.
  11. HiDDeNMisT

HiDDeNMisT TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 202   +11

Lol there's no use blovking websites. People will just use proxies and/or VPN's. There's no way to stop it unless they shutdown the internet entirely. Let me not give them any ideas lol. MPAA is just a group of people that sues a 70 year old woman when she barely knows how to click or surf websites, these are the people that sues dead people, these are the people that sued a 12 year old lil gurl.

12. PinothyJ

PinothyJ TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 429   +15

I am binsearch.info man myself…
  13. fpsgamerJR62

fpsgamerJR62 Newcomer, in training Posts: 489

If the intent was to block the site for copyright violations, why should the court order apply only to BT and not the other British ISPs ?
  14. Leeky

Leeky TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +98

I have to agree, BT themselves are one of many ISPs in our country. There must be a hundred or more ISPs that run off of BT infastructure alone.

BT speed or that of ADSL are usually crap anyway - its precisely why I've been a fibre-optic customer with Cambridge Cable/NTL/Virgin Media for more than a decade!

Where I live now is a perfect example: BT's ADSL (or anyone else using ADSL) is like 2.2MB, or Virgin Media fibre-optic is 10/20/30/50/100MB... Erm, I'll take fibre-optic then! :haha:
  15. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,470   +299

Yeah I don't get it either.

BT called and said they have the fastest speed my house can get, 8Mb down, 512Kb up.
    In the real world I got 3038Kb down and 212Kb up.

I then spoke to BE, my current provider, on the same line BT provided (which I have canceled because it really was apalling, Ping time to anything was always above 300ms)

They said I can get a Annex M line if I wanted higher uploads. So I installed them and these are what I get.

Annex A
    12.5Mb Down
    1.2Mb Up

Annex M
    10.5 Down
    1.9 Up

So my question is simple, Why can't the biggest ISP in the UK offer the fastest speeds? I mean, they have the network and the money for the tech?

I just wish Virgin Media was possible down my road :( Although BE have really impressed me, My average ping to UK servers on TF is is between 7ms and 13ms!!!
  16. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,393   +828

So I take it you've never considered the whole "shareholder profits" versus "losses due to improvement to infrastructure" thing?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.