High cpu usage then shut down now wont restart

By Josh626
Jun 11, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Good afternoon I could really use some help im no expert but I think I have a big problem..

    A week ago my system started acting strange, the CPU usage would be at 40% - 70%++ with nothing running. In system manager under processes everything looked normal with the system idle at 90-95% with the task manager taking the other 5% or so but if I look under performance it constantly shows the CPU usage at 40% or more.

    I ran AVG anti virus,ad-aware,ad-watch zone alarm and Amust registry cleaner and they cleaned out some files but did not fix the problem. I then used system restore to bring everything back a month which seemed to help a little but not much. So i then de-fragmented the drive
    which took almost 24 hours and after i searched the drive for errors which took another 48 hours.

    This went on for a little over a week with a few shut downs here and there. As if this was not bad enough 2 nights ago I was trying to get on the net and open winamp at the same time and again the CPU usage went through the roof, only that this time the computer shut down and will not turn back on at all. I opened it up and all I see is the green light on the mobo but thats it no fan no noise nothing.

    I would need some suggestions and maybe some ways of testing the individual components. Im hopping its the power button or the PSU and not the mobo cpu or HD.

    Please get back to me soon ,
    Thanks in advance Josh
  2. Tmagic650

    Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,746   +156

    Replace the power supply first... Then you could try disconnecting the hard drive and see if the system posts. Don't concern yourself with the CPU yet. If you still get no response, the motherboard might have died
  3. Josh626

    Josh626 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

    Thanks i'll try that, is it possible that the PSU is damaged but still light up that green light on the mobo? And could the PSU have had anything to do with the crazy CPU usage prior to the shutdown? What kind of PSU would you recommend, something I could use for now and keep for my first build sometime next year?
  4. Tmagic650

    Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,746   +156

    Yes it is possible for a computer's power supply to be bad even if there is a green light lit on the motherboard. There are many voltages produced by the power supply. You could be missing one or more voltages. Only by testing or replacing the supply can we know for sure, that it is good or bad. Any quality ATX power will work, 350 watts or better
  5. Josh626

    Josh626 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

    Thanks i'll try that over the week end and let you know how it went once im done.
    I have been looking for a PSU which would be good for now and which I could keep for my first build around Christmas any suggestions?
  6. nickc

    nickc TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,623

  7. Josh626

    Josh626 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

    Thanks for the help, I did not have a chance to work on it this week end but i will be going and pick up the PSU some time this week. I think I will go for either one of these depending on what they have and whats on sale. any recommendations among the list below?

    Power & cooling 610W 105$
    OCZ game extreme 700W 100$
    Corsair TX 650W 130$
    Apevia Ice burg 680W 120$
  8. Josh626

    Josh626 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

    Good morning guys I finally got around to changing my Power source. The system now starts up but i still have the high cpu usage problem and it is incredibly slow, it take about 15 min for it to start up completely. When ever I go on the net or start any application the cpu usage goes well over 50% even up to 100%.
    Like I posted earlier I have ran a whole bunch of scans but nothing helps.

    Any ideas
    Please
  9. Tmagic650

    Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,746   +156

    You may have to reinstall Windows fresh
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.


Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...


Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.