TechSpot

high cpu usage while idle

By mica3speedy
Jul 14, 2007
  1. I'm having a couple of problems with vista 32 bit. After installing a nvidia 8600gt video card my cpu usage sits around 50% while idling, not doing anything. Vista also doesn't shut down properly either now; it just hangs and I have to hold in the power button. In safe mode however it works fine, and I'm thinking it has to do with one of the windows services. I disabled all non windows services and it still does the same thing. Any suggestions?

2. pdyckman@comcas

pdyckman@comcas TS Rookie Posts: 718

Have you tried going to "taskmanager" while this is going on and having a look at "processes"? See where your cpu activity is. If you have the time to go through some busywork: uninstall the card and recheck Vista w/out it. Then you will be sure that it's the cause. If so, contact Nvidia tech help via e-mail and get their input,

3. mica3speedy

mica3speedy TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 205

well I pulled out the 8600gt card and put in the old 7300gs. the cpu now has 0% usage at idle, and shuts down and restarts fine. So it's definitely something with the video card.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.