high ping on games withgeforce 6800

Status
Not open for further replies.

C_Conqueror

For some reason I have a very high ping oncounter strike source dod and dod source, like btween 200 and 300. I have updated my divers from nividia or at least I think I did does anyone have any other ideas.

your ping has nothing to do with your vidcard or drivers, your internet connection is slow. your ping is the time it takes your computer to communicate with the server. if you have a slow internet connection there is nothing you can do other then get a new ISP. If your connection is fast then maybe you have a virus or spyware.

Hi
Have you adjusted the networking controls in your games at all?
Do you access the net thru a switch or router that might be adding latency?

ok i suggest
1. turn your computer off unplug both your modem and your router let them sit unpluged for like 2 mins. plug in your modem wait till all the lights come on then plug in the router wait for the lights again then turn your computer on.

2. download lavasoft. AD-Aware SE personal update it then scan after that go to
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp
choose your location and scan your computer. when done with that restart yoru computer and try playing.

I don't use a modem I plug the phone jack into the router or does that mean its a switch. I have an extra modem laying around, should I install it and plug the phone jack into the modem instead of router/switch (i don't nknow I have been trying to get this networking stuff down.)

Hi
Well, for the least latency, I would plug straight into the modem rather than access through the router, turning the firewall on in the os of course. If you have to share the connection I guess that's out of the question.

I am starting to fell really stupid because first off I come in asking a question about ping thinking it has to do with your graphics card and now I have to ask what oc is I know it is probly really obvious. :blush:

:knock:
:dead:

Hi
Oc means Over Clocking. Say your cpu runs at 3GHz. You can adjust the fsb in bios so that the cpu is forced to run at 3.6GHz.
The same applies to vid cards, but they normaly don't get oc'd in bios but rather a software app or in their own driver. Don't feel stupid, everybody gatta start somewhere!

:chef:

Yeah okay I knew it was something simple, I have my processor overclocked I tried pluging directly into the modem but it didn' t work at all.

by the way...i think the power supply for that card is recommended at 350W but you should really have a 450W. SO you might want to turn your graphic settings down. This wont help your ping problem but it will stop the game from becoming 'jerky' and laggy when you start playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back