High ping

hi my ping usually sits at around 35-50 but when my flatmate goes online with his laptop through the wireless my ping rockets to 400-500 is there any way i can stop this and what is the reason for it? thanks

Punching your roommate should solve your problem ;) .

Honestly though you'll have to give us a little more info so we can help. I'm guessing that you are using the wireless signal too and trying to game hence the need for a good ping. Wireless overall isn't as good as a wired connection for gaming for multiple reasons especially when shared as you are experiencing with those lag spikes. However there are some things you can do to improve it, first make sure you are as close as possible to your wireless router when gaming and not out of line of sight. Secondly if you guys have a b/g router and you both are only using g turn off b as by default wireless routers will use both slowing down your connection (If N turn off b/g). Of course you could always check with your roommate to make sure he isn't streaming a movie over wireless when you plan on doing some multiplayer.

Im actually using a wired connection and the modem is in my room the speed of the broadband should'nt be the problem because its between 3 and 4 meg. Ive checked with him weather he was streaming or downloading anything when the ping was high and he wasnt. we also turned his laptop off to see if it helped and the ping went right back down to 36. The modem im using is just the BT homehub 2.0. punching him didnt work either :)

Should've punched harder :p .

And that is strange indeed, if you are using a wired connection and he isn't doing anything but browsing around your ping should not be spiking like that. Have you checked if this is just a coincidence with the server you are on? Or is this a consistent ordeal that no matter what game & server your ping is 400+ with your buddy on the network? If the latter, I'm not exactly sure what could be the cause.

All sorted phoned my service provider (BT) and turns out something, i dont know what hadnt been turned on on the line. So now i have no excuse for being so **** haha. thanks for your help though.

Back