High-pitched noise when laptop connected to charger

1. Hello

My laptop is 6 year-old (Hp pavillion zt3019ea) and for few weeks now, has started to make this high pitched noise (like a mosquito!) only when connected to the charger.
    I replaced the charger with a new one.Same thing. Then that new charger (8 days-old) died yesterday.

I thought I needed to get a new battery but at the same time is it really worth it for a 6 year-old laptop? (the hard drive has been replaced in March)

Thanks for your help!

2. Zilliak

Zilliak TS Booster Posts: 164

For future reference dont ever buy hp again. And the charger will keep dieing and yes a new battery is a good idea.
    If you want a new laptop i reccomend an acer timelinex for 800$
  3. Cinders

Cinders TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 872   +12

The whine is probably caused by a bad cap on the power side of the motherboard. I doubt replacing the battery will cause the whine to stop unless the whine is actually coming from the battery.
  4. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,467   +1,760

I do suppose however, that a bad battery might hasten the demise of another charger. At age 6 for a laptop though, it might be time for a new one.

The whine could be anything, perhaps a bad cap in the voltage inverter also.

As to the, "is it worth it" question, I bought a Toshiba laptop (Celeron) for 300 bucks last year. With a battery for it running at about 100+ dollars, I'm wondering if that will be worth it, when it comes time for a new battery in that turkey
  5. capucinenskinau

capucinenskinau TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks guys, I actually just bought a new laptop...!!