TechSpot

High-pitched noise when laptop connected to charger

1. Hello

My laptop is 6 year-old (Hp pavillion zt3019ea) and for few weeks now, has started to make this high pitched noise (like a mosquito!) only when connected to the charger.
    I replaced the charger with a new one.Same thing. Then that new charger (8 days-old) died yesterday.

I thought I needed to get a new battery but at the same time is it really worth it for a 6 year-old laptop? (the hard drive has been replaced in March)

Thanks for your help!

Marine.

2. Zilliak

Zilliak TS Enthusiast Posts: 233

For future reference dont ever buy hp again. And the charger will keep dieing and yes a new battery is a good idea.
    If you want a new laptop i reccomend an acer timelinex for 800$

3. Cinders

Cinders TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,313   +12

The whine is probably caused by a bad cap on the power side of the motherboard. I doubt replacing the battery will cause the whine to stop unless the whine is actually coming from the battery.

4. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,815   +922

I do suppose however, that a bad battery might hasten the demise of another charger. At age 6 for a laptop though, it might be time for a new one.

The whine could be anything, perhaps a bad cap in the voltage inverter also.

As to the, "is it worth it" question, I bought a Toshiba laptop (Celeron) for 300 bucks last year. With a battery for it running at about 100+ dollars, I'm wondering if that will be worth it, when it comes time for a new battery in that turkey

5. capucinenskinau

capucinenskinau TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks guys, I actually just bought a new laptop...!!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.