High speed host controller issue (Toshiba Satellite)

I have a Toshiba satellite a305d-s6848. The specs for this can be found
here: reviews.cnet.com/laptops/toshiba-satellite-a305d-s6848/4507-3121_7-33088925.html (Sorry for no link, but I am apparently not allowed to do that yet.

I bought it new and it came with windows vista. A couple years later I upgraded to windows 7. Upgrading to the new OS was fine, but then later I needed to upgrage yet again to 64 bit. This, unfortunately was not as easy and I need to wipe the drive clean and start fresh.

Now there are a couple issues with the host controllers, the main being that I keep getting warnings saying that the devices I plug in can run faster if I were to use a high speed port (2.0). This confuses me because the USB ports are 2.0, but they are acting like they are 1.1. I have done everything I can think of to get these to function correctly, but nothing I do seems to work.

The second issue (which isn't as annoying) is that when I move the screen, the sound for connect / disconnect a USB device is played and the little popup for "new device connected" is shown. I am unsure why the screen is acting like it's a USB device. I have disabled the notifications and sounds for all ports now, but I would kind of like to know why this is happening.

Do anyone know how I can solve these problems? I have checked multiple forums, and have been searching for an answer for about 3 months now with no luck. I think I have provided enough information, but if anyone needs more, just let me know and I will be happy to provide it.

Thanks.

No. I do have a couple disabled because I determined that those two were the reasons I was getting so many messages when I moved the screen. However, this didn't effect the speed of the hosts... they were slow (acting like 1.1) before I disabled them.

And when I click on "Update driver", it says that they are already up to date.

Here is a screen shot of the device manager.... again, sorry for the lack of a link.

://i40.tinypic.com/211ov7s

(just add http in front and .jpg at the end)

What about keeping up with the Windows Updates, and with Windows 7 you NEED the optional updates too

Okay.... everything is up to date. Everything was up to date (even the recommended) with the exception of one update that came out last night. So, that doesn't appear to have any real bearing on it.

Anything else?

Any new ideas??? This is horrible.. I am to the point that I am ready to just get a new computer because I have an external HD that I use quite often and the speed is tortuously slow.

There has to be a way to fix this....

???

imho, bad drivers that is. there are lots of bugs in 64bit drivers and manufacturers are not very keen on fixing them

p.s. wait/search for a newer drivers version, or even try to roll back to an older one

Thanks. I'll see what I can do about finding an older driver.

If I get it to work, I'll come back and update.

Thanks again for your help, guys (or gals, as the case may be.... lol).

Back