HIS Radeon HD 5850 Review

Julio Franco

Staff member
The more affordable HD 5850 shares the same technological advances as its higher-end sibling. That includes support for DirectX 11, HDMI bitstreaming, Eyefinity, angle-independent anisotropic filtering, and supersample anti-aliasing. A slightly toned down configuration, however, allows it to sell for just $260.

Read the full review at:
https://www.techspot.com/review/206-his-radeon-hd-5850/

Please leave your feedback here.

Great stuff!
Makes me glad to be in the ATI camp again :)

I won't be upgrading anything anytime soon though

I maybe an Nvidia fan (but I am also an AMD Proccessor fan) I have to give it this much that, that is a pretty impressive bit of kit, plus its size is also a god send for some of the guys I know. Overall, I think I may have to convert to ATI!

Damn that's a hot card! I got my 4890 2 weeks before these cards came out. But damn that is a hot card.

This looks like a sweeter card than the 5870!

Question: Can I Crossfire this with an HD 4870 or HD 4850?

What about Supreme Commander? Am I the only one who noticed that they listed it in the benchmark info, but didn't bench it?

Guest said:
What about Supreme Commander? Am I the only one who noticed that they listed it in the benchmark info, but didn't bench it?

Supreme Commander has been dropped and the list is updated!

Rage_3K_Moiz said:

I really wish someone had the answer to Moiz's question. what an upgrade path it would be if you could.

I'm thinking about this for my holiday wish list. Looks like a good deal at a good price. My only problem is that it still isn't creamy smooth in Crysis and my 8800 GTX OC is preforming well enough. I'd hope for triple digits in Crysis after waiting 2 years for a new GPU.

Crysis is my most watched benchmark - when a card can play that game smooth on a 22" in full quality I'll be most likely able to play anything really well at full quality.

For the past 3 card series (2xxx, 3xxx, 4xxx series / R600, R700, R800 GPU's), has prices come down but performance stayed about the same?

I'm thinking about this for my holiday wish list. Looks like a good deal at a good price. My only problem is that it still isn't creamy smooth in Crysis and my 8800 GTX OC is preforming well enough. I'd hope for triple digits in Crysis after waiting 2 years for a new GPU.

Crysis is my most watched benchmark - when a card can play that game smooth on a 22" in full quality I'll be most likely able to play anything really well at full quality.

For the past 3 card series (2xxx, 3xxx, 4xxx series / R600, R700, R800 GPU's), has prices come down but performance stayed about the same?

ummm, boy its hard to know where to start with that 9. firstly, "creamy smooth" starts well before 100+ FPS, your eye cant detect anything over 60 FPS, secondly, if you really cant see the difference between the 2xxx series and the 5xxx series, maybe you should stick with your 8800 GTX, because its not getting anywhere near 35 FPS on high in crysis at 1680x1050 or 1920x1020. and if you purchased your card back then....you paid more for it then the 5850.

Performance has definitely improved across the board in newer generation cards, but perhaps even more relevant than that, you can get a very fast card for less money today. The Radeon 5750 is a great example of this, but this wave of uber-fast mainstream cards started with the last generation of GPUs.

As for Crysis performance, sure it's a good benchmark because it remains one (if not the most) demanding PC game out there. But at the same time PC developers have shifted their focus and today 99% of new game releases can do with less horsepower than Crysis, a two year old game.

Performance has definitely improved across the board in newer generation cards, but perhaps even more relevant than that, you can get a very fast card for less money today. The Radeon 5750 is a great example of this, but this wave of uber-fast mainstream cards started with the last generation of GPUs.

As for Crysis performance, sure it's a good benchmark because it remains one (if not the most) demanding PC game out there. But at the same time PC developers have shifted their focus and today 99% of new game releases can do with less horsepower than Crysis, a two year old game.

not to mention that Crysis code is very inefficiently written. (i think that's what Julio just said)

red1776 said:
Rage_3K_Moiz said:

I really wish someone had the answer to Moiz's question. what an upgrade path it would be if you could.

Someone would have sooner but someone was super busy testing the Radeon HD 5770.

Anyway I just tried to Crossfire the two cards but it wouldn’t work, at least not with current drivers. You could use either card of course but not both together in Crossfire mode. I will keep looking into this when I have some free time ;)

The 5850 hits the sweet-spot of price and performance! Would be a lovely card to get.

Eagerly awaiting the HD 5770 review... :D

ati grarphic card always driver problem. ati always use "HD" as marketing.

nividia the gretest graphic devolepes not just for game other like architreture ,medical science,designing and etc.

just earn bit more money in your graphic card and buy ' msi N275GTX Lightning ".

better,best and mind blowing.

I see in addition to spell check....Techspot needs a fact check.

A grammar, syntax, punctuation and capitalization check wouldn't hurt either but no one is perfect. :)

I was just wondering, what cpu heatsink are they using here? looks very nice

Are you on crack? The GTX295 clearly won almost every test you threw at it. Why does your conclusion state that the 5850 wins everything? Did you just phone the conclusion in?

Back