HIS Radeon HD 6770 question

By argueta789
Nov 9, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hi i am running windows xp and the HIS radeon 6770 is direct x 11 and from what i recall windows xp dosent support 11 or 10. So am i wasting this cards potential if i cant use direct x11 or 10? http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161387 computer specs:
    Motherboard - ECS RC410-M
    Hp Pavilion a1324n
    1gb Memory
    Inter Pentium 4
    Ati Radeon Xpress 200
    Has one Pci express 2.0X16 slot AND 1 free Pci slot
    My power supply is a HIPRO -D3057F3R max output power 300W ,19A on 12+ rail
  2. ihaveaname

ihaveaname TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 127

First thing's first: you shouldn't try to run a 6770 with that PSU. You'd need a 450W+ unit from a reputable company at least. Upgrade your PSU before you do anything else.

XP wouldn't be the thing that drags your graphics down; it would probably be the rest of your system. A Pentium 4 is going to be a major bottleneck. As annoying as this might seem, if you're looking for more performance, it might be time to look into a major (and probably money-consuming) upgrade :(. An AMD fusion based system is probably the way to go if you're looking to save money; a CPU (with GPU onboard)/micro ATX mobo/RAM set shouldn't cost more than $250. Keep in mind that these motherboards probably won't take IDE HDDs though ... and now, HDD prices have gone up. Ergh.

EDIT: Haha, I just read your earlier thread. :p.
  3. argueta789

argueta789 TechSpot Member Topic Starter Posts: 47

yea i was thinking in upgrading to the 945 presler 3.4 ghz and the corsair 500 w psu , how about then? and a extra stick of ram
  4. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 4,264   +41

What are you trying to do with this system?
  5. argueta789

argueta789 TechSpot Member Topic Starter Posts: 47

trying to get the best graphics possible without changing the motherboard

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.