TechSpot

Hitachi GST ships two new 4TB Deskstar-based disks

By Leeky
Dec 14, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hitachi Global Storage Technologies announced on Monday that it has begun shipping 4TB desktop mechanical hard disks targeted at consumer PCs. This follows on from Seagate announcing it was releasing…

Read the whole story

2. Ranger12

Ranger12 TS Guru Posts: 641   +118

Why do I get so excited everytime they come out with massive harddrives. I'll never NEED 4TB nor will I ever drop 400 on disk based storage but it still excites me to read about em.

3. VitalyT

VitalyT TS Evangelist Posts: 1,970   +586

Ever heard of Dr. Freud theory about men's preoccupation with sizes? That explains it.

4. Bluray rips that average 20gigs per rip, that's why people need 4tb. The price is high, but also consider all HDD prices are currently inflated. When it drops to around $190 they will be practical.

5. Ranger12

Ranger12 TS Guru Posts: 641   +118

Ah yes I forgot about blu-ray rips (I only have one atm and it is like 45 gigs). Maybe I will need this...

6. $400 for 4 tb ??
    Hey kids, It wasn't that long ago (10 years) that I paid $200 for a replacement 20GB drive.

These prices are a deal !!

7. Guest said on December 14, 2011 12:04 PM
    "$400 for 4 tb ?? Hey kids, It wasn't that long ago (10 years) that I paid $200 for a replacement 20GB drive.

These prices are a deal !! "

It doesn't seem that long ago when I paid $200 for a replacement 20MB disk & that was 5 1/4 inch!

8. killeriii

killeriii TS Enthusiast Posts: 213   +14

I have a windows home server. 4TB on one drive will come in handy.

9. It doesn't seen to long when I paid 20 dollars for a 4 MB ram stick.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.