TechSpot

Holiday Gift Guide 2013: Jos' recommendations

By Jos
Nov 7, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Welcome to TechSpot's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide! We are taking a more personal approach to this year's tech gift recommendations by asking each of our editors and staff members to provide their own picks on gifts they would like to...

Read more

2. OneSpeed

OneSpeed TS Rookie Posts: 131   +31

Got everything except #4 & #8 (too low tech). I was thinking of getting #4, but haven't figured a way getting it past the boss.

3. Steve

Steve TechSpot Staff Posts: 1,386   +480 Staff Member

I just got the DS214Play a few weeks ago and I can confirm that it is a very nice product.

Arris likes this.
  4. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,356   +402

You forgot any beer. ;)

5. mctommy

mctommy TS Enthusiast Posts: 125   +14

I'd suggest wd tv live for local streaming... it's by far the best. I can play lossless (+30gb) mkv files over gigabit network. You can play more compressed files over wifi as well.

Julio Franco likes this.
  6. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 1,946   +381

Cheaper tech stuff guysssssss.
    SOMEONE has to. :p

7. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Maniac Posts: 913   +22

I won a weber grill once sort of hacking the phone on a call in radio contest.when hacking wasn't illegal. It was called mass calling using a phantom number. That system still exists today, but phantom numbers are now undialable except by operators.

8. Phillip Seni

Phillip Seni TS Rookie Posts: 26

I'm not really a coffee guy but the Nespresso Lattissima Plus ($400) has an enticing look.
    also, can the author provide a quick link to the other holiday gift guide? (same format as computer buying guide?)
    it's interesting to know the minds of the techspot staff in relation to what is considered as a good buy this holiday season.
    as the saying goes, to each his own... and I might buy me a new digital weighing scale. I'm 231 lbs. last year and now down to 209 lbs. :)

9. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 6,570   +337

Thanks for the feedback so far everyone. I'm next in line for mid-next week so I'll try to include some of your pointers (more affordable recommendations) into my picks. Those asking for a central guide where to find previous gift guide posts, here you are.

ikesmasher and Phillip Seni like this.
  10. Punkid

Punkid TS Maniac Posts: 546

A phone that is ON-contract ? how is that even a gift :|

11. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,174   +761

Apart from the SSD, the only thing I'd like is the Weber setup which I already have but it get used so regularly that another one won't go amiss.

12. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,568   +103

Have a Synology DS212J and they are great little NAS units. Don't have enough video requirements to warrant upgrading to the DS 214 but can thoroughly recommend Synology products from my experience.

13. The Weber model 1357001 is actually a 22.5" model, NOT 27" as stated in this article.
    Additionally, it is priced at $149 at HomeDepot, saving you an easy $10.

14. Blkfx1

Blkfx1 TS Addict Posts: 890   +171

I'm liking the holiday gift guides so far, I've seen a few cool ideas. Heck, I think I might go and buy myself one of those DS214's. Definitely looking forward to future installations.

15. SalaSSin

SalaSSin TS Member Posts: 95   +30

Anyone notice the bad photoshop of the glass on the Nespresso machine?

Matthew likes this.
  16. stbecker

stbecker TS Rookie Posts: 32

I totally disagree your stance on the Roku 3. I personally love mine. Tere are channels that enhance the local streaming options. For example, Plex downloads all the metadata so you can scroll through a Netflix-like menu of your local media. I'm speaking of using a SiliconDust HDHomeRUn network tuner to record TV and the Roku with Plex to organize/watch it later. For that matter, an HDHomeRun should be on the list for those that want to cut cable.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.