Home hub usb printer networking help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a bt home hub with 2 laptops and a pc connected wirlessly and another pc hardwired into it. i have just found out that the home hub is capable of being a print server, and followed the instuctions given at:

(search google for 'bt home hub printer' should be first hit, website is wallaceit)

it printed first time but to print another docement you have to disconnect the printer usb from the hub and reconnect it before printing anything. is there anyway to stop this?

All help is appreciated.

Thanks

It is difficult to understand your problem. I interpret that the printer is connected to a "hub" that has the printer server for a USB printer. It appears that disconnect/reconnect action is needed to re-establish a working connection.

Therefore, the printer was added as a networked device. Troubleshooting for this printer may be available from the property sheet for the printer appearing in the "printer/fax" from the control panel.

You can observe if print jobs are in the queue or if the printer is offline.

You may detect that not all methods (links to submit a print job) are functioning. This may require running specialized "uninstall" utility before doing a re-install. (one of my HP multifuntion computers went this route).

the troubleshooters are not specific enough. it's kind of a strange problem.

the website i used (wallaceit) said bi-directional communication might be the problem. would this cause such behaviour, and how do i stop it?

I don't beleive there is anything wrong with the print methods as i can plug the printer into the desktop and it prints normally from there.

Thanks

Did you enable bidirectional support for the printer?

Check the box for "bidirectional support" appearing on the "ports" tab under the properties menu item.

Yes, "troubleshooting" mostly leads to nowhere. Some printers have "toolboxes" or status/monitoring utilities. If not reachable from "properties", then check printer help or the printer software bundle for these utilities.

i cant check or uncheck the box it is just gray. sorry internet has had problems recently but i have sorted that.

the hp software is pretty useless. any other ideas? thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back