Home Network Chain Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

sprandel17

I need help setting up a home network. Everything is set for sharing, computers are connected and everything but we run on two routers, a wireless one with 4 plug in spots, and just a normal router witrh 4 plug ins.

Computers: Basement (plugged into wireless), Laptop (wireless laptop), Kitchen (plugged into wireless), Bedroom (plugged into non-wireless router).

Router Config:
Non-Wireless: Incoming signal, outputs to Bedroom and outputs to wireless router.
Wireless: Incoming signal comes from the non-wireless as stated above, other computers use this.

Bedroom is plugged into the non wireless because when plugged into the wireless router it loses connection every 5 minutes or so, the only computer that has this problem. Basement, Kitchen, and Laptop all have a shared folder (Z:/basement/shared) but Bedroom cannot map this folder.

Windows XP, SP 3 except Laptop is Vista Home Basic.

I just want to get the shared folder on Bedroom! (And maybe share printers too.)

Anything else you guys need?

First; the wiring should look like;
Code:
modem ---(wan)WiredRouter(lan) ----(lan)WirelessRouter
The wireless router should have nothing in the WAN port and the DHCP service on it
disabled.

If true, the all systems will have the same three numbers when viewing /ipconfig
eg 192.168.1.x

The workgroup name must be the same on all systems.

When all that is set correctly, what happens when you try to Map Z:\basement\shared?

Not necessarily -- wired connections can go to the closest router and of course
the wireless will just do the 'right thing' . The suggested wiring makes it APPEAR
as if there is only one router (where DHCP IS active) and the WiFi device will act
as if it where an Access Point / switch.

Okay, so currently Bedroom is plugged into wired, Kitchen and Basement are plugged into the wireless router and they are sharing a folder! However, Laptop has 0 network. No internet, no connection with the other wirless router computers

Okay, so currently Bedroom is plugged into wired, Kitchen and Basement are plugged into the wireless router and they are sharing a folder! However, Laptop has 0 network. No internet, no connection with the other wirless router computers

disconnect the WiFi router from everything and then wire it to any system.
access the config page to then
disable the DHCP.

if necesary, you can tweek the radio settings (channel, SSID, encryption).

save the settings.

Now couple the WiFi back to the wired router using only LAN ports on both.
If the system is still wired to the WiFi, you should have Internet too.
Now you can disconnect and try the wireless.

Hey, I meant to tell you about 5 hours ago that I got Laptop online and once it got to the internet it found the other computers but someone ninja'd my thread so I got a little distracted and forgot, then I left the house.

I don't exactly remember what I did but I think if I needed to I could do it again...

Thanks for all your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back