Home networking

By chinner
Jul 7, 2008
  1. i have been trying to set up a home network between my laptop running vista and my desktop running xp home. having followed all the procedures as far as i can see correctly and been told that the network has been set up i cannot 'see' either machine from the other. the laptop is on a wireless connection through a seimens wireless router but the desktop is connected to the router by wire. does this set up work for home networks? both nachines can get internet connection without any trouble. i don't really understand how machines on a network do see each other and in what form please can anyone help?
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,233   +234

What kind of Internet connection are you running? Have you configured the firewalls on each computer to allow printer and file sharing?
  3. chinner

chinner TS Rookie Topic Starter

I'm running a broadband internet connection via a wirless router,but thanks for your suggestion I will look again at the firewall. Thanks
  4. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,143   +595

see this Vista Tip even if you're not running Vista -- just ignore this Private/Public choice
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.