Home Theater System using External HDD

By itreignsfyre
Sep 22, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Product: JVC THD60 HT System
    Wanting: hook up an external hard drive of some kind to the front USB 2.0 port so i can have all of my movies at the touch of a button
    issue: don't know which one to get; don't know how to hook one up; don't know if it is even possible
    other thoughts: i tried hooking up my 500gb mybook to it but all that came up was my songs. also i watch movies on it all the time using a flash drive from my computer to it so it cant be the file formats. also i have read that the HDD needs to be in fat32 mode and the mybook is in fat32 and still only get the songs on it to play.
  2. itreignsfyre

itreignsfyre Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

ok so no one can help, grrrreat..i thought at least someone out there knew how this worked! :(
  3. eafshar

eafshar Newcomer, in training Posts: 86

hey man
    i have tried connecting external harddrive to my home theatre system USB port. all i got was crazy static which i then quickly disconnected my external harddrive. i think they only take flash memory. i think there may be a problem with the fact that external drives connect to a power source. but dont no how.. i was once reading about how connecting two computers via USB can fry the boards. so i dont think u can have external hard drives connected to ur hometheater. i may be wrong tho.
  4. itreignsfyre

itreignsfyre Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

booklet

hey earshar, the instructions booklet to the JVC states this, and i quote:

"A USB flash memory device, hard disk drive, multimedia card reader, digital camera, etc. can be used with this system through a USB connection.
    This system is compatible with USB 2.0.
    This system cannot recognize a USB mass storage device whose ratings exceeds 5v /500 ma.
    If a file on a USB mass storage class device exceeds the following conditions, it may not be played back correctly: -Max data transfer rate: 2 Mbps, -Max frame rate:30fps, -Max file size:2GB.
    The system recognizes up to 150 tracks (files) per group, and 99 groups per device. The total # of tracks the System can detect is 4000."
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.